Saturday, January 05, 2008

One Big Headache

I should have taken the bank as a sign. I ran to the bank this morning to deposit paycheck and Christmas money, and it was quite busy...but it was also 11:30AM and that PNC Bank branch closes at noon on Saturday. They had another "Customer Appreciation" spread out, just some cookies and donuts this time, but still nice.

I spent the rest of the morning finally finishing off the Voyagers set, after being sidetracked by holiday specials and Laverne and Shirley. I'm not usually fond of tales of the Titanic, but "Voyage of the Titanic" was probably my favorite of the second half of the show. A genuinely exciting tale of romance, mystery, changing history...and what happens when people close their mind to the impossible, whether it means saving a young boy's life or a ship full of people.

Dealing with adversity, whether because of disability or skin color, was the theme of "Destiny's Choice" and "All Fall Down." "Destiny's" was particularly interesting to me, due to it being set during one of my favorite time periods in Hollywood history, the changeover from silent to sound film. "All Fall Down" was interesting but not quite as successful. The boys aren't as much fun when they're so close to our time, and the whole thing with Jeffrey and the plane was just a bit much (though admittedly well-done).

I wish I'd stayed at home and watched Voyagers! for the rest of the evening. The Acme was a mess all day long. The lines were half-way across the store. One manager went home sick, and we only had one working both the self-checkout lines and the regular registers for at least an hour or more. Four people called out sick. Customers were grouchy, cross, and cranky. (Look, it's not MY fault the Eagles didn't make the playoffs!) By the end of the day, I had a massive headache that hasn't gone away yet, though I've been home for hours. I hope I'm not coming down with something. I literally cannot afford to be sick.

No comments: