Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Faster and Faster To Nowhere

I have a confession to make. Ahem.

I like disco.

A child of 1979, I grew up on disco. My stepfather loved disco divas like Donna Summer and Diana Ross, and still does. One of my earliest childhood memories is of my sister Rose and I shaking our groove things to "Bad Girls/Hot Stuff," still two of my favorite songs, while Dad laughed at our antics. I bought him Donna Summer's On the Radio on CD for him to annoy Mom (she DOESN'T like disco) with about five or six years ago. It was the surprise hit of my family's Christmas. Even Mom happily cranked up the volume whenever it was on.

I sent the bills this morning and went through last year's papers, sorting what could go and what needed to be kept for tax purposes. After everything was sorted, I headed back to Act Two to see if they still had the CD/DVD rack I saw on the way out last week but wasn't going to try to carry home on foot. They didn't, but I did pick up a few other items. My Cabbage Patch Kid, Carrie, finally got some new clothes. She's been wearing the dress she came in in 1984 for over a decade. The dress is in decent shape for it's age, but it's also pilled, stained, and the Velcro won't close very well anymore. I got her a cute pair of green overalls with a red-and-green plaid shirt. The shirt's short-sleeved, so she still wears her cream-colored baby sweater. The overalls are a bit stiff; I had a hard time getting them on her. I also got a second vintage 80s item, a Good Luck Bear Care Bear figurine in mint condition. My third find was my favorite, Donna Summer's disco classic Once Upon A Time. I haven't heard this in years, but it seems to be Summer's 70s retelling of the Cinderella story, and while not as familiar as "MacArthur Park" or "Bad Girls" it's still a blast to listen to.

About an hour after I came home, it began to snow heavily. Though the snow settled into flurries by 3PM and never did stick, I opted to get a ride to work anyway. I wasn't getting off until 8:45, and I was worried about ice. Work was steady when I came in, stone-dead when I left.

No comments: