Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Return to the Library

I slept in and decided that, since it was a lovely, crisp, perfectly normal 35-degree sunny January day, I would go for a ride and do my library volunteering and Westmont errands.

I volunteered at the Haddon Township Library first. Did the children's DVDs again and the children's CDs. The DVDs weren't too bad (one of the librarians said she'd done them the day before), but the CDs were an absolute mess. They looked like they'd never been done. Getting them into the best alphabetical order I could took me the better part of an hour.

It was after 2PM by the time I finished. I made brief stops at AC Moore and Dollar Store to look at Valentine's and Easter decorations. (One of the few things I like about early Easters is you don't feel quite as weird when the Easter stuff comes out in late January.) I picked up a few things at Super Fresh (they often have great sales on Crystal Light, which I drink a lot of, and their green tea is far cheaper than the Acme's), then stopped at Nick and Joe's for a slice of broccoli and cheese pizza and a bottle of water. As I headed for Cuthbert Road, I realized I'd forgotten to get something I needed at Super Fresh. I got it at the Rite Aid across the street instead.

Spent the rest of the afternoon doing yoga and watching the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers vehicle Shall We Dance. I wish I were better at yoga. I still can't lean on my bad knee all the way. I can't get my feet into the right stance (they always want to turn out), and I can't touch my toes. Relaxing isn't my strong suit, either. I just can't let go.

Shall We Dance isn't one of Fred and Ginger's best films. The storyline, about a ballet dancer and a Broadway star who are assumed to be married and end up getting married anyway in order to end the rumors and get a divorce, is odd and even a bit mean-spirited. It's all redeemed by some genuinely great songs by the Gershwin brothers, including Fred's solo dance in a pump room to "Slap That Bass," Fred and Ginger's infamous roller skating duet, "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off," the cute "They All Laughed," and the touching, Oscar-nominated "They Can't Take That Away From Me." ("Can't Take That Away" was so associated with Astaire and Rogers, it was added to the score of their last film together, The Barkleys of Broadway.)

Not a whole lot planned for the rest of the week beyond basic chores. At least, as of this writing, it's supposed to remain in the 30s and 40s, with no more freezing daytime temperatures. They are calling for possible snow showers tomorrow and flurries on Saturday, but the weather's been so weird lately. I don't think they've gotten it right two days in a row in at least two or three weeks.

No comments: