Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Meeska-Mooska Mouse-ka Laundry Day

Today was Laundry Day. I was on my own for about an hour. Uncle Ken and Dolores came in from doctor appointments and errands shortly after I put my laundry in the dryer. Uncle Ken was nice enough to make me a tasty egg and scrapple sandwich for lunch, and I chatted with him and with Dolores while watching cartoons.

On Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey Mouse helped Donald find his lost stuffed lion. Turns out the toy made an extra-loud roar that startled Daisy and made her lose her sunglasses, scared Minnie's kitten Figaro into a tree, and made Goofy break his surfboard. (And I'm still trying to figure out how Goofy "surfed" in the desert.) Micky and Donald help the others out and gets Donald to apologize while they search for Donald's beloved toy.

Switched to Nickelodeon for Dora the Explorer. Dora and Boots helped a mother "Bugga-Bugga" bug bring a big cookie to her ten hungry babies. Bugs and how they live are the theme of this episode. It was too cute when the cookie was finally separated for the baby Bugga-Buggas! (And this must be an early episode. Mama Bugga-Bugga and her family have turned up several more times and are somewhat semi-regulars.)

I'd already seen the Go Diego Go! episode (the one about the otter siblings who are washed downstream by the Bobo Brothers), so I ended up watching A Pup Named Scooby Doo instead. This was Warner's version of the "babyfied" cartoons that were "in" during the mid-late 80s. It falls somewhere between the intentionally cute Muppet Babies and the very hip Tiny Toon Adventures. It separates itself from previous Scooby cartoons by going for an odd anime style (the kids all have huge eyes and short bodies) and giving Fred, Velma, and especially Daphne more character than usual. (Although it must be admitted that, as in the film versions, Fred usually comes off as a doofus and Daphne as a brat.) Where Pup Named really scores is in spoofing Scooby conventions - at one point, Shaggy says it's "Time for the music!" and Scooby actually jumps into a record store and starts the pop song for the next "everyone runs in and out of doors" romp!

Went back to Nick for The Backyardigans, which turned out to be "Cave Party," one of the episodes I've rented in the last month. Just as well that my laundry was almost done and I was just about on my way home.

I had just enough time to put away my laundry, change into my uniform, put a quick dinner together, and head to work. It was still cloudy and windless, but unlike yesterday, it was in the 50s. Getting to and from work was no problem. Work was steady but not really crazy, with a few annoying customers but otherwise no problems.

Rose called this morning while I was eating breakfast. She's been wanting to go to Yogawood with me since last summer, but has never had the time. She must have finally finished her classes, or at least her morning classes. She wanted to go to the hour-long morning class tomorrow and asked if I wanted to come, too. Sure. My only plans for tomorrow besides late work were raking, and if it rains like Yahoo!Weather's saying it's supposed to, I won't even be able to do that.

No comments: