Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas In the 21st Century

A package arrived for me just as I was putting the cupcakes in the oven this morning. It was another Christmas present from Lauren, and it was a doozy - my first digital camera! I've never had the money for a digital camera. It's such a cute little thing, and once I figured out how to backlight the pictures and insert the memory card (Lauren sent me three of those and rechargeable batteries), it was easy to click away. I took nine pictures today, ten counting the one of my Sailor Moon dolls I deleted because it was too bright. I'll try posting them here once I figure out all the logistics. I got a really nice one of the sun just as it was setting.

I had a harder time getting the camera out of that damn blister pack than figuring out how to work the thing! I literally had to cut into the blister packs for the camera and the memory cards with a knife, and I still haven't opened the rechargeable batteries. Isn't there a way they can package electronics that doesn't require the aid of sharp, heavy objects to open them?

I popped my head out for a moment shortly after the cupcakes came out of the oven. It was still windy, brisk, and cold, but not quite as cold as I thought it would be. It was probably in the low 30s, freezing but not intolerable for someone who prefers the cold anyway. I decided I'd let the cupcakes cool before frosting them and head over to the Acme's employee luncheon and to the FYE to use the gift card I got from Lauren.

The employee luncheon is a potluck party. Everyone brings something, from hot pasta dishes to desserts. The produce and deli departments donate trays of vegetables and hoagies. It was just after lunchtime when I arrived with my container of cookies, my contribution, and half the store was in there. I had a hard time finding a seat! I had a good time, though. The food was so good! There were deviled eggs, two different kinds of pasta salad (I liked the one with the light dressing and vegetables), heavy caramel brownies, rice pudding, baked ziti, these delicious little garlic pierogies, two different carrot cakes (one round, one in a pan), cupcakes and gingerbread bites from the bakery, a plate of salami and three cheeses...and that's just what I can remember! I had a lovely time, chatting with my fellow employees and not having to worry about being too long on my break.

I went to FYE next to spend my gift card. I made use of the sale on Christmas movies and Disney movies to replace my videos of Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas, Miracle On 34th Street, and Christmas In Connecticut. Connecticut in particular needed to be replaced. I taped it off of TCM during my last semester of college in 2001. I also finally bought the first Now That's What I Call Christmas! double CD, which I've wanted for years but could never afford during the holiday season. I made a brief return to the Acme after FYE to use their bathroom. A co-worker admonished me to try one of her cookies after she promised to try one of mine yesterday, but I'm afraid I was so stuffed by then, I barely had the room for a very tasty coconut macaroon. (I was so full, all I had for dinner was yogurt and a granola bar!)

The rest of the afternoon was spent frosting the cupcakes and watching the Laurel and Hardy March of the Toy Soldiers, the 1986 TV version of Babes In Toyland, and the Sailor Moon "movie" Hearts In Ice. Hearts In Ice isn't technically a Christmas movie. It concerns Sailor Moon's cat Luna falling in love with a human scientist while Serena and the Sailor Soldiers try to figure out why an evil ice witch and her snowy minions are attacking Earth. However, since it's set during the winter and one scene does mention Santa Claus, I tend to watch this one around the December holidays.

The cupcakes finish my actual holiday baking. The pudding pie I'm going to make tomorrow doesn't require an oven or a lot of time. I may go to Collingswood to drop the videos off at the thrift shop after I do the laundry.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I've been railing about blister packs for years. I hate the darn things. Amazon said just recently that they were going to something called "Frustration-Free Packaging" and I cheered. Things used to be sold in perfectly serviceable boxes. Plus the boxes were cardboard and could be easily recycled and did decompose after a while. Phooey on blister packs. They should outlaw them. What a waste of resources!