Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Best of Times Is Now

Began today with Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes and the Beatles' radio show on WOGL. ("Songs Released In the Fall" was the theme today.) I tried calling Mom; got Daddy and a load of hooey on how the Giants were going to kick rear today and the Eagles weren't looking so good. Mom was apparently washing off my nephews from breakfast. I'd call them after the game.

Work was really busy, even after the game began. I was in the Express register all day, so it was even busier for me; there were lines snaking around the store at one point. Thank goodness it had slowed down enough by the time I was done for me to just shut down and leave. I had no relief.

I went straight to Dad and Uncle Ken's from work, not even stopping at my apartment on the way. It showered this morning. It was still misting when I went to work, but by the time I was on my way to Uncle Ken's, the sun was coming out. I parked my bike in a full driveway and headed for the party.

It was a really full house. In addition to Dad, Jodie, Jessa, Dolores, and Uncle Ken, we had Samantha and David and their kids, Mark, Mark's mother (and Uncle Ken's first wife - can we say "awkward"?) and her current husband, Mark's daughter Amber and her daughter Ella, and a whole passel of Dolores' children and THEIR children.

Jodie said Rose and Craig had shown up earlier with big news she wouldn't tell me about. I called Rose and got her cell phone. I still haven't heard from her as of press time; no one will tell me what's going on here, other than it's good news.

I hung around for about an hour after the game. Turns out, the Eagles crushed the Chiefs 34-14, which probably accounts for it being quiet in the Acme later. In fact, it was a good Philadelphia sports day all around. The Phillies were playing while I was there; they finally beat the Milwaukee Brewers 6-5.

Heck, it was a good sports day all around, period. This could be the first day in a while the whole family mostly went home happy. Daddy's earlier bravado wasn't just hot air; the Giants swashed the Buccaneeers 24-0. Mark's beloved Packers won, too, 36-17 over rivals the St. Louis Rams.

Made a Peach-Apple Brown Betty and called Mom after I got home. She was happy but tired. She'd spent the majority of the week working at Michael's and babysitting my nephews. Apparently, Anny wants to move her and her boys to Lower Township next month. On one hand, I can't blame her. Wildwood is no place to live during the non-summer months, and it sure as heck isn't a place to raise kids. She's closer to the Big Lots in North Cape May where she works, too. On the other hand, Skylar just started school. He's having enough trouble adjusting without having to be moved to another school right away. Once again, we'll see what happens.

No comments: