Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Beast Is a Beauty

I didn't sleep well last night at all. My allergies, which haven't been bad for the last couple of weeks, came back with a vengeance yesterday evening. It was quarter of 3 before I finally settled down long enough for some shut-eye. I didn't drag myself out of bed until 10:30AM.

May have been just as well. It was once again cloudy, cool, damp, and gloomy. Not exactly the kind of day that cries out for adventure. I lay in bed for while and wrote in my journal and just daydreamed, then had a quick cereal breakfast and watched cartoons.

My cookie jar was empty again. I've been craving chocolate, so I made those Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies from the March issue of Prevention. They came out a little dry, and I burned the bottoms of the second batch a little, but not bad. I made them a bit bigger than the last batch I made back in the spring.

I'm so glad to be baking again. I miss it during the summer, when it's too hot to turn on the oven.

I went online for a little while when the cookie dough was chilling, but by the time the cookies were in the oven, I was bored. I needed shampoo anyway, so I took my bike over to Wal-Mart. I'm really not fond of our local Wal-Mart, which is unorganized and under-stocked, but it was almost 3PM by that point, and I didn't have the time to take the train and the bus to Target. Wal-Mart was having a sale on underwear, so I bought a bag of Fruit-of-the-Looms, along with the shampoo I needed and a spare bike inner tube (just in case).

Made a few quick stops after that. Went to Staples to see if they had any 1 or 2GB Flash Memory Drives. They didn't, so I rode across the parking lot to FYE. I browsed a little there, but being low on money, I just bought what I came in for, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I avoided the traffic on both Pikes and Nicholson Road and took the long way home down Market Street in Audubon and over the train bridge into Oaklyn.

There were men doing work around the house when I came home. They're the same guys who clean the gutters every spring and fall. I hope they cleaned off the roof, too. Maybe that'll finally get rid of the ants. I've only seen a few in the bathroom since the rotten branch came down, so that seems to have solved that problem, but they're still in the kitchen.

Made a dinner of spiced beets, small beef eye round steaks, and leftover vegetables and oven-fried eggplant while watching Wolverine. As with the third X-Men film, I don't see what a lot of the fanboys were complaining about. Granted, once again, I'm not a comics fan, so I don't know the full back story here, but what I saw was mostly well-written, acted, and executed. And no wonder a lot of the female reviewers were overwhelmed back in May - there's a lot of handsome testosterone on display, from Ryan Reynolds' chatty swordsman Wade Wilson (Reynolds is so wasted in fluff like The Proposal) to Liev Schriber's nasty assassin Victor Creed.

And of course, there's Wolverine himself, Hugh Jackman, the hottest triple threat on two continents. It's worth it just for the scene where he's running around naked in a waterfall. Not that you see much, but still... ;)

No comments: