Saturday, September 12, 2009

Farmer's Bounty

It was cool, cloudy, and humid when I awoke this morning, but not raining. I took this as a good omen and ran to the farm market. Despite the weather, it was still very busy. There were a lot of dogs this week. I saw everything from tiny Maltese to a huge, handsome German Shepard. I saw the first fall squash and gourds this week. Eventually bought an acorn squash, along with peaches, Mollie delicious apples, a cucumber, two yellow squash, romaine lettuce, carrots, a yellow onion, three tomatoes, and a bottle of wildflower honey from the honey seller.

There were a few yard sales today, mostly in Oaklyn. I hit paydirt at one on Washington Street behind the Oaklyn School, the same street Mark and Vanessa live on. They had some really nice wood furniture pieces, including a tall, narrow oak wood shelf with cute heart cut-outs between each shelf. I bought it for $3, deciding I'd either use it to clear the smaller Care Bears off the Ikea shelves next to my computer desk or to clear CDs and use those crates for records.

It ended up being the perfect size and shape to fit between the two windows in the front of my bedroom. I put it on top, where the two shelves meet, then filled the shelves with all the Beanie-type Care Bears - the classic Wish, Funshine, Grumpy, Cheer, Share, and Perfect Panda, and the more slender Adventures In Care-A-Lot Oopsy, True Heart, Heartsong, and Harmony. Wish and Funshine now hold the "wish" sign Linda Young made me for my birthday on the top shelf.

I ate lunch after setting up the shelf, then went to work. Work was busy, but nothing unusual for a weekend. I was in and out with no trouble.

My schedule ended up being pretty good, too, much better than I thought it would be. I work until 7 every night but Wednesday, when I work 3-8. I have Tuesday and Thursday off. Only complaint is I have to miss the first Eagles game of the year tomorrow, but at least I get to sleep in.

I made some baked peaches with two bruised peaches that were starting to go bad, adding butter and brown sugar to the cavities in the middle. It didn't say to add water to the pan, so I didn't. The brown sugar ended up burning and sticking to the pan. The peaches came out all right, but I wasted a lot of brown sugar. Next time, I'll add water to the bottom of the pan.

Oh, and I got an automated call from Verizon. Supposedly, they've fixed the problem. I'll give them a month to see if everything continues to be fine. If I'm still having problems after a month, they're gonna have to come in and start climbing poles.

No comments: