Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Last Harvest of Summer

I awoke to a day that could not have been more perfect. It was 60 degrees, breezy, and sunny when I headed out to run my usual Saturday morning errands. I was actually cold when I got out of bed. I couldn't have asked for a nicer last weekend of summer.

The Oaklyn Library had their second fund-raising Book and Yard Sale today. I stopped there first on my way to the bank, but there was nothing interesting this time. Saw a lot of yard sales today. Not counting the Oaklyn Library Yard Sales, there had to be at least five or six scattered around Oaklyn and Collingswood this morning. Alas, I didn't make any good finds this time. One sale in Collingswood had crate shelves for five dollars each, but I thought it was asking too much for something that wasn't big or in that great of shape.

The bank wasn't busy when I got there, but the Farm Market was hopping. Lots of people and lots of dogs out and about, enjoying the stunning weather. I finally ended up with peaches, tiny little gingergold apples, small portobello mushrooms, two ears of corn, two tomatoes, and bunches of spinach and Chinese Cabbage. I had the cabbage sauteed in olive oil with a clove of garlic for lunch, along with tomatoes and light mayonnaise and the last poached chicken leg.

Work was steady, but not too bad. I guess everyone was out enjoying the day. It was dying all together by the time I picked up olive oil and a box of French Vanilla cake mix and headed home. The cake mix is to make Peaches and Cream Cake for the Eagles game at Uncle Ken's house tomorrow; it's baking in the oven as I write this.

No comments: