Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cold and Flu Season

The day started out sunny and perfect for this time of the year, about 40 degrees and no wind. I slept in again, then had Shredded Wheat n' Bran, skim milk, strawberries, and half of a grapefruit for breakfast.

After breakfast, I realized something embarrassing. I had put off and put off sending my Verizon bill...and it's due Monday. I finally decided to do what I should have done ages ago - restart my "My Verizon" account and pay online. I already pay the Nelnet college payments bill online. I've resisted because I never trusted giving anyone my accounts, but now that I've shopped online for several years, I find that it's far more convenient. I'm less likely to put it off when the way to pay is right in front of me instead of laying on the dresser in the living room. And it's better for the environment, too!

I walked to the bank next. I got really lucky. It was 12:55 when I got to the bank. I thought they closed at noon on Saturdays...but it turns out they close at 1. I just got in, deposited my paycheck, and headed back out to enjoy the lovely day.

I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't felt so gosh-darn tired. By the time I got home, I was coughing like crazy. My chest felt congested, and my head pounded. I had an omelet with winter vegetables and no cheese and collard greens sauteed in soy sauce and broth for lunch. Before I left for work, I took some cold medicine in the hope of at least feeling a little better.

It didn't really work. I felt tired, cold, and congested all night, despite spending half the evening sucking cough drops. This was not helped by a large crowd and the fact that we were supposed to be pushing a new brand of soda Canada Dry just put out, a Mountain Dew-esque flavor called Sun Drop. (Cute name, by the way.) There was a big free soda with coupon promotion all day.

By the time I finished at 7:30, I was ready to drop. Thank goodness it was dead by then, and the only thing I needed after work was a good bottle of vanilla extract. (With all the baking I do, I might as well get the superior stuff.) My ride home was a bit chilly, but windless and easy.

I'm still not feeling right. I have cough drops and a bottle of water by my desk. I hope a good night's sleep with make things right again.

No comments: