Sunday, February 20, 2011

Think For Yourself

I got up around 8:30 this morning and just read in bed for a little while, then wrote in my journal. It was sunny and chilly again, probably in the 40s, though the wind had thankfully diminished significantly.

Put on Brunch With the Beatles while making Apple-Spice Pancakes for breakfast. George Harrison was in the spotlight today in honor of what would have been his birthday this week. We heard "Tax Man," "Roll Over Beetoven," "Don't Bother Me" (and the oft-told story of George coming up with that one while sick in bed), "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Here Comes the Sun," and the only song George and John Lennon wrote together, the instrumental "Cry For A Shadow," among others.

Called Mom during the second half of Brunch. She and my nephew Skylar were watching Keefe play is Play Station 3, so we didn't have a chance to talk for very long. Mom did mention she was going to clear out a bunch of old yarn remnants she's had for years and send them to me for crocheting. I'd love that. It would be much cheaper than buying tons of yarn for little doll clothes!

I worked on crocheting for a while after finishing my chat with Mom, then headed to work. With no wind to push me back or forward, my ride today was much nicer than the blustery one yesterday.

Work was very busy, but not really out-of-the ordinary for a Sunday and a holiday weekend. There were no major problems, and my relief was on time.

I had leftovers beef stew for dinner with spinach and mushrooms, a slight revision of a recipe from my 50s Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. It originally called to saute spinach, mushrooms, and garlic in lemon juice and hot fat. They didn't say what hot fat, so I substituted olive oil. Yum! It came out very tangy and flavorful. It also originally called for frozen spinach; I used bagged fresh spinach that is getting a little wilted.

Listened to The Dress Circle after a nice shower. The theme was another one of their "Pop Singers Perform Show Tunes" programs. Rogers and Hammerstein was in the spotlight tonight. I especially liked two very different selections from South Pacific, Barbara Cook's sweet "Cockeyed Optimist" and Danny Kaye's rowdy "Honey Bun."

No comments: