Thursday, February 10, 2011

Waiting for Balance

Started a sunny, chilly day with a very nice yoga class. For one thing, I saw my friend Pattie for the first time in ages. Pattie had apparently hurt herself badly in a class a few months ago and had only just returned to regular yoga practice in the past few weeks. The class wasn't too hard, either. The focus today was on "heart warmers," ie back bends and stretches and balance poses. I'm still bobbling on some of the balancing, but other than that, I did pretty well.

I wanted to get my hair cut next...but of the five hair salons in Collingswood, two were busy at 10:30, two weren't open, and one cost $50 for a simple haircut! I ended up spending the next two hours in the Collingswood Library instead, reading books and shelving and organizing DVDs.

I went a block down to the Pop Shop for lunch. The Pop Shop is one of Collingswood's most popular restaurants, and certainly the post popular with families. A noisy lunch crowd was enjoying the Pop Shop's signature burgers, milkshakes, and sandwiches named for 50s icons, staff, and local landmarks. I ordered a "Farmer's Market" omelet - fresh vegetables and Swiss cheese - rye toast, and hash browns.

My meal was tasty, but it was also HUGE. The omelet was two times the size of the ones I usually make myself, and there were enough hash browns to feed three people. Needless to say, I didn't finish them. That's one of the big reasons I don't eat at the Pop Shop more often. They're really a family place, the kind of diner where everyone shares plates and takes things home. Not only that, but the prices are kind of high for what's essentially a fancy diner.

I tried Haddon Hair Designs across the street after I was finished lunch. Despite having been told that they would be ready by 1:30, they told me they were behind and I'd have to wait another 20 minutes. Sure I would. That's what they told me the first time. I went a block down to Total Image instead. They were more expensive ($30 as opposed to Haddon Hair's $22), but the older woman who did my hair did a very nice job on it. It's all bouncy and cute again, a little under shoulder length, just the way I like it.

I finally went into Philly after I finished at Total Image. I wanted to go to a couple of places, but I ended up only having time for the FYE and Borders on the Avenue of the Arts, and I didn't get anything at Borders. I did take advantage of a buy 1 used, get the second 50% off sale at FYE to pick up A Night at the Opera and The Rescuers. The latter is my favorite Disney movie, but I didn't think the fairly bare DVD was worth the $17.99 I usually see it go for. $4.50 with the sale and my Membership Card is far more reasonable. I also grabbed the rare, wonderful Pearl Bailey cast album for Hello Dolly - I like it even better than Carol Channing's version.

Put on The Rescuers when I got in. This was made during what's considered to be Disney's "Dark Age" in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Actually, that's one of the reasons I like it. It's unique. No sugary princesses or wisecracking sidekicks here. Two daring mice who are part of "The Rescue Aid Society" (a mouse United Nations) help a little girl escape from a pair of bumbling thieves in the Louisiana bayous.

While the animation isn't up to par with recent efforts, the characters are some of Disney's best. In addition to our intrepid rodents Bernard and Bianca, we have Orville the Albatross, who flies the mice to Louisiana, the kooky bayou residents (check out Luke and his ale!), and Evinrude, the fly who pushes the mice around the swamps in a leaf.

Actually, the best character may be one of Disney's most underrated villains, Madam Medusa. Written as a carbon copy of Cruella DiVil (in fact, she was supposed to originally be Cruella), she's even nastier and a lot scarier...especially without her eyelashes. Geraldine Page gives her just the right over-the-top menace.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I fell in love with Evinrude when I first saw this film. Did you find the voice of Orville familiar? It's Jim Jordan, "Fibber McGee."

Emma said...

Oh, I know. The great voice cast is another reason I love this movie so much. ;)