Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Let's Take An Old-Fashioned Walk

It was still a bit chilly and breezy when I poked my head out this morning around 10. Since I didn't have any really huge plans for today anyway, I decided to start the day by getting the Valentine's decorations down. Most of what I have for Valentine's is tinsel garlands and cardboard and foil hearts. There's a tin depicting a bear in a pink dress, a small heart-shaped box covered with flowers and ruffles that was originally a candy box, and a small vine wreath shaped like a heart.

When I finished with the decorations, I headed out for a long walk around Oaklyn and Audubon. My first stop was the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteering session there. I got in just before the pre-school kids left. Organized the DVDs while they were there; kid the kids' section after they left.

It was 1:30 by then, so I went straight over the train bridge and into Audubon for lunch. This wasn't as easy as usual. Between now and my last walk into Audubon, someone had set up a guard rail along the foot path and wooden bridge, making the path much smaller and harder to walk on. Thank goodness there isn't much snow left. The few remaining piles are rapidly melting, and even the puddles aren't as big as the ones I saw last week.

I had lunch at Simply Soups at the Pine Street Shops. I had a tasty cup of Sweet Potato Soup with Caramelized Pecans and Ham, two large breadsticks, and a can of Diet A&W. It was very tasty. I wasn't the only one who thought so, either. Two ladies came in about half-way through my meal and ordered sandwiches.

I wanted to check out Act Two Collectibles, but they were still closed. (I guess the owner's wife is still sick. I hope they reopen soon. I miss them, and the lady had such wonderful advice when I had love trouble last May.) I just walked back to Market Street instead. I bought a coconut cupcake from Desserts By Design and two CDs (the fourth Ultimate Christmas Album and Natalie Cole's Unforgettable) from Abbie Road. I had intended to take a look at the dance schools there, but one was just gone and the other had a sign on the door that said they had moved, though they didn't say to where.

Headed home after leaving Market Street. I went across Nicholson Road this time. It was such a gorgeous day. The morning's wind had died down, leaving sunshine and lower 50s temperatures. It may have been TOO nice. I've been sneezing like crazy all day. This weather may be great for getting rid of the snow, but it's not playing nice with my allergies.

Spent the rest of a pleasantly quiet evening inside when I got home. I read a book called Younger Every Day, on ways to feel and look younger. I don't care so much about feeling younger as I do just feeling and looking better. I put on Unforgettable and danced around the room with my Molly doll.

Made Pineapple Pumpkin Muffins while running Show Boat. The Show Boat that comes on the TCM set is the one from 1951 with Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, and Ava Gardener. I know a lot of people are down on this version of the venerable 1927 musical, but it has its virtues. Gower and Marge Champion have a lot of fun performing my two favorite songs from this score, "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" and "I Might Fall Back On You." Joe E Brown makes for a cute Cap'n Andy, and Gardener is a marvelous Julie.

No comments: