Thursday, February 17, 2011

Balance On a Beautiful Day

It was already warm far and beyond the norm for mid-February when I headed for yoga class around 9. And class didn't cool me off much. We did work with partners on back-bends, back stretching, and heart openers. We even did "pose" where everyone did the bridge or wheel back bends in two lines!

After class, I went to the Collingswood Library for this week's volunteering there. The Library just rearranged their DVD cabinets, and I had to figure that out. Their Storybook Hour ended about twenty minutes after I arrived, too, and I ended up helping parents and children find DVDs and looking for the DVDs in the files.

There are three craft stores in Collingswood. One concentrates on embroidery. Another, between the Total Image salon where I got my hair done and what was the thrift shop, specializes in beads and all kinds of crafts involving yarn - crocheting, knitting, weaving. I took a look around. They had piles and piles of sparkling beads and stones and yarn in every fiber, thickness, and ply imaginable. They were having a 40% off selected yarn sale, but I didn't have much money left. I bought a small skein of honey-colored yarn. I'd like to help my mom make stuffed animals for me and for my nephews. Mom has been trying to make toys for the little boys, but she says they keep swiping her prototypes!

The young college-age woman and older woman who ran the store were very kind. The young woman explained the differences between 1-ply and multi-strand yarns and suggested several crochet magazines to get ideas for projects. The older woman suggested I join their e-mail list and added that they have both private craft tutoring and classes. I may see if I can join a crochet class.

Made my next stop the vacuum and sewing machine store on the next block over. It only took a few seconds to see that the store emphasized the machines themselves and not the actual sewing. The two men were nice enough, but I can barely get the small machine I have now working. I was out of there quickly.

Went across the street next to WaWa. I picked up milk, a pretzel, and a sandwich for lunch. By this time, it was at least in the mid-to-upper 60s. I'd walked out of my apartment in my big black coat and was now sweating to death!

It was so nice, I rode home through Newton River Park. The snow that had clogged the paths in the park for weeks was completely gone now. There were only the tiniest piles left in shady places. For the first time in months, the playgrounds were filled with laughing, tumbling children and their parents. I decided it was too nice to have lunch inside. I found an empty picnic table and settled down with my Turkey and Provolone Hoagie to watch them.

I was hot as heck when I finally arrived back at my place. Not only was it too hot for my coat, but my knit pants no longer felt right, either. I switched the coat for my blue knit hoody and the pants for my jean capris. After that, I went for a short walk in the neighborhood behind Kendall.

I hadn't planned on doing anything else outside today, but the call of the soft breeze and brilliant sun beckoned me. I spent a few hours reading and sweeping my porch, including getting cobwebs off the windows and light that had been there for months, maybe years. I read on the porch for a little while, but finally decided that the call of adventure was too strong. I grabbed my sweater and purse, hopped on my bike, and went out for another ride.

My random ride was quite lovely. By 3:30, the temperature had hit 68 degrees, according to the sign at Beneficial Bank in Audubon. I could tell from all the people outside. Parents took their children for walks. Kids played in yards and playgrounds and parks. Teenagers did their homework outside at the Oaklyn Library, had a snack on the patio at WilJax Deli in Oaklyn, and strolled with friends. Older kids rode their bikes and scooters together. There were bikers, dog walkers, and joggers. It was like one giant community happening.

I was feeling spontaneous and thirsty. I stopped at the TreeHouse Cafe in Audubon for a drink. I finally opted for a strawberry-banana smoothie. The kids must have all gone to Desserts By Design; there were only two women sharing coffee and a mother buying her children treats when I was there. I also made a brief stop at the Audubon Library to look at their book sales.

I worked on my inventories a little when I got home. I've been wanting to do an inventory for my American Girl dolls' things ever since my stepsister Jessa gave me her dolls. For each girl, I listed their "meet" outfit (ie, what they came in), school outfit, holiday outfit, summer outfit, spring outfit, pajamas, shoes, and coat or cloak, along with an outfit relating to a sport they participate in in their stories and extra outfits.

This was a big help! Now I know what each girl needs. Felicity and Samantha need coats and capes rather badly. Jessa needs a summer outfit. Felicity needs a real holiday dress and a school outfit, and Samantha and Jessa need spring outfits. (Felicity and Samantha's holiday and spring dresses and capes could be made from patterns at the American Girl Playthings site.)

Watched Kiss Me Kate while making flounder with sauteed mushrooms, spinach salad, and roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner. Kate is a musical version of The Taming of the Shrew...and what goes on backstage during that musical version. It was a favorite of my family's during my high school years. My sisters and their boyfriends would have philosphical discussions on the roles of men and women in society now and in the 40s while watching this movie!

No comments: