Friday, July 06, 2012

Heat Wave!

Despite the continuing heat, the first thing on my agenda today was getting a gym session in. I haven't had a lot of time for the gym lately. I did a good 20 minutes on the elliptical machine while watching The Price Is Right. There were a few women on the other elliptical machines and bikes, but by the time I was working on my arms, the weight machine area was completely empty.

The Acme wasn't busy when I went over there to get my paycheck, either. There was only one other older woman in line at customer service getting lottery tickets. I didn't need much, anyway. Had to restock eggs, Emerald Trail Mix, French Vanilla mousse mix, fruit concentrate, contact lens cases, and blueberries. I was out of contact lens cases and vinegar and almost out of cereal; Life was the only thing on sale I'd eat. I love blue corn chips. I first had them in college; Richard Stockton's dorm cafeteria would have them out ever so often. I fell in love with their hearty goodness, but I don't often see them at the Acme. Utz's Organic Blue Corn Chips were on a decent sale, so I got those, too.

Rode straight home after shopping. I unloaded everything and made scrambled eggs with summer squash and fresh cucumber for lunch while running more Stooges. The boys were getting more experimental by the early 50s...and some of their attempts at a different approach were a little odd. "Self Made Maids" had the Stooges playing all of the roles, including their girlfriends (them and drag do not mix), their children, and the "girls'" father (Moe). "Three Arabian Nuts" is a fantasy that has Shemp finding a wish-granting genie. (It's a lot like the Bowery Boys' later Bowery to Bagdad without the gangster subplot and a different ending.) "Three Hams on Rye" pushes the trio onstage as they make their debut with ingenue Christine MacEntyre and a cake filled with feathers. "Punchy Cowpunchers" pokes fun at Columbia's B-westerns. The Stooges have to round up the infamous Dillon Gang...with no help from a warbling, aw-shucks cowpoke who is even less coordinated than they are!

Work was the same as yesterday - quiet when I came in, quiet when I left, very busy in between. Rush hour was just crazy. Everyone's trying to beat the heat and avoid the 100-degree temperatures tomorrow. I had some annoying beginning-of-the-month people, but otherwise, there were no major problems.

No problems with my schedule, either. I have three days off this week (including a much-needed Sunday), and no day later than 8:30. Wednesday is going to be a long 7-hour day, but at least it's an early long day.

No comments: