Sunday, July 01, 2012

A Street Fair In Oaklyn

Technically, I got up around 8:30 this morning...but I was up chatting with Lauren (as well as Linda and Mike) until almost 3! I rolled over and went to sleep for another hour and a half. Didn't get to making Blueberry Corn Pancakes for breakfast until well past 10:30.

Brunch With the Beatles saluted Ringo Starr, whose birthday is this week. He wasn't the singer the others were, and consequently didn't sing leads on many of the group songs. He did get his share of memorable tunes, though, including three of my favorites - "Octopus' Garden," "Yellow Submarine," and "With a Little Help From My Friends." Solo hits include "It Don't Come Easy," "Photograph," and "The No-No Song."

Called Mom after I finished my pancakes. She was quite happy. She, Ms. Carson, and Ms. Carson's sister Su-Su went to a concert at the Cape May Convention Center last night for the Cape May Diamonds, a popular Jersey Shore bar band of the late 70s and 80s who still play together occasionally. Mom said they even set up the convention center like one of the old dance clubs in Cape May, with a dance floor and tables set around the stage and a small bar in the lobby. It sounds like she had a great time. She saw a lot of people she hadn't seen in years, including another former high school teacher, Mrs. Carlson.

I hung around for an hour after I got off with Mom. Swept the porch, which needed it. There was quite a bit of debris from the last couple of storms. I packed up a lunch, changed into my uniform, and headed off to work.

Work was once again very busy. Today is the first day of the month, there's still graduation parties and barbecues going on, and we're four days from the biggest holiday of the summer season in the US. Thankfully, the upcoming holiday must have put people in a good mood. The worst that happened was a lady spilled (thankfully dry) dog food when her bag opened. Her husband and I cleaned up most of it when a bagger couldn't be found.

I went straight home after I finished. Changed into regular clothes and sandals, picked up my purse, and headed down Manor for the street fair being held on West Clinton. A new beauty parlor just opened two doors down from Doria's Deli, and the street fair was to celebrate and advertise the addition to the business district.

It wasn't much. There was a Sam's Club booth, a few craft booths, a booth for a local coffee shop (the Coupon Cafe), a bake sale booth, a booth for a cupcake bakery, and the booth for the salon. Phillies' Phatties sold sodas. Studio LuLu (a children's art studio) had kids' crafts and hula-hoops. I browsed and looked at everything, but I just ended up buying snickerdoodles from the bake sale.

I managed to squeeze into Phillies' Phatties itself for dinner. Everyone else was buying the two-dollar pizza slice and soda deal, but though the heat had lessened a bit since the sun started going down, it was still too steamy for hot food. I settled on a roast beef and cheese wrap and a bottle of water. Went two doors down to Leo's Yum-Yums and bought Lime-Vanilla Yum-Yum (a creamier water ice) for a far more cooling dessert.

I ran into Andrew's elderly mother, Miss Ellie's sister, on my way home. She was walking across the street to visit her son. It sounds like she's the one who finally pushed Andrew to start cleaning up the yard, and especially replacing the big floodlight next to my apartment that blew out. It's kind of scary getting upstairs at night!

No comments: