Monday, February 18, 2013

A Hint of Frost In the Air

My President's Day was relatively quiet. Lauren and I took advantage of her rare Monday off and did two long nights in a row. I slept in again. By the time I got up, it was too late to do anything besides watch a couple of DVDs and go for a walk. I had breakfast and ran the That's Entertainment: Treasures From the Vault cut numbers and the half-hour documentary on the producers, musicians, directors, and composers who worked behind the scenes on the musicals at MGM.

It was such a gorgeous day, I had to go for a stroll to WaWa after the DVD ended. The air was still chilly, with that frosty nip it gets in winter, but yesterday's gale-force wind had slowed to a gentle breeze. I had a very pleasant stroll. There were several dog-walkers and packs of kids out and about, enjoying the beautiful weather. It had to be in the lower 40s, perfectly normal for this time of year. Some of the gardens are starting to show the earliest signs of spring, with a few sprouts who were confused by the few warm days we had, and a few people have even put out very early St. Patrick's Day banners. For the most part, the gardens on Manor Avenue remain elegantly bare; most houses sport leftover greenery from Christmas, Valentine's or winter banners, or nothing at all.

When I got in, I put on an episode of Wonder Woman from the World War II-set first season that did involve music. Diana goes undercover at a beauty pageant that's supposed to be a morale-booster for Army camps. The cutthroat competition among the contestants is nothing compared to the Nazi's plot to sabotage a new radar. When Steve and Etta Candy discover that the Nazis have something else up their sleeves, will they get to Diana...and Wonder Woman...in time?

As you can guess on a holiday, work was far busier tonight than it was yesterday. We had tons of customers with huge orders who were using their last Monday off until May to do some major shopping, and not nearly enough people to handle them. Thankfully, it had slowed down so much by 8:30, I spent another productive half-hour doing returns. I was in and out with no problems.

No comments: