Friday, February 15, 2013

Avengers Assemble...In Animation!

I spent the morning before work taking down the Valentine's decorations and running Avengers: The World's Mightiest Heroes! While this uses some of the same characters as the movie, the main story arc is different, and there's even more superheroes around. Here, S.H.I.E.L.D's four main super villain prisons were breached, and all the bad guys escaped. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America are more-or-less as they are in the film, except for that here, the Avengers, not S.H.I.E.L.D, find the Captain in the ice when they're looking for Hulk. Hulk has even more problems with joining them, thinking they'll regard him as a monster. (Considering they have a god, a Golden Age of Comics superhero who is literally a man out of time, and a playboy who can't live without a prosthetic heart among their group, I'm not sure what he's worried about.)

What really intrigues me about this cartoon is the use of characters I never even heard of before. Until I got into the X-Men in the spring of 2009, I was really more of a DC Comics girl. I never heard of Ant-Man, the Wasp, or the Black Panther before I saw this show. All three are very much quirky Silver Age characters. Ant-Man is a scientist studying in Africa who gained the power to shrink or grow, as well as control ants. The Wasp is his smart, take-charge girlfriend. Black Panther was apparently the first black superhero, an African tribesman who takes the place of his dead father and leaves his tribe to restore his father's legacy.

It was a gorgeous day, sunny and bright and breezy, when I headed to work. This was reflected in my shift. It was really dead for the first half of the day. It didn't pick up until the evening rush hour, and I once again heard rumblings of snow. It didn't help that there was a full moon today, and we had quite a few demanding or obnoxious customers. I was happy when a manager told me to just shut down, as she would move my relief to a register closer to the front of the store.

I really needed a good-sized grocery trip. Restocked blood oranges, apples, bananas, canned tomato sauce, plastic wrap, tortillas, chocolate chips, frozen stir-fry veggies, chicken cutlets, and yogurt. Found good marjoram and cinnamon sticks on clearance. I hadn't had Brussels sprouts in ages, so I decided to grab a bag of those, too, and I couldn't remember the last time I had lamb.

When I got in, I made Cornmeal-Battered Chicken Cutlets and roasted Brussels sprouts and finished out the Avengers disc.

And mixed feelings on my schedule. Lots of hours, which makes me happy...but four late days in a row late next week, which does not.

No comments: