Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Rainy Day In Oaklyn

I slept in this morning. It was sunny when I got up around 9:30. It started clouding up as I was running Sondheim: A Concert At Carnegie Hall and eating breakfast. Much to my annoyance, it just started to rain as I left for this week's Haddon Township Library volunteering session. It got heavier as I rolled into Westmont. I was rather wet when I arrived.

Needless to say, the library was very busy today. I once again worked on organizing the kids' DVDs and shelving adult titles. There were only a few foreign and children's titles to weed out of the adult section. I did help some kids find a few DVDs, and tried to figure out how to get more cases into the overloaded shelves. Finally took out four titles for myself - the Miss Spider volume A Cloudy Day In Sunny Patch, Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase, the comedy Julie & Julia (Mrs. Stahl recommended it, as it involves a writer who did a project on something she loved), and the comic adventure O Brother, Where Art Thou? Grabbed books on light desserts, journal writing, and simplyfying all aspects of your life, from your home to your relationships.

Despite the continuing heavy rain, I had a few errands I really couldn't skip. I needed sponges, toothbrushes, vinegar, and raspberry preserves at Dollar Tree. Rite Aid was having a sale on gel to clear out pipes. My bathroom sink has been running really slow again. I also picked up contact lens solution. In between, I stopped at Nick and Joe's Pizzeria for a late cheesesteak and fries lunch.

I was originally going to do the laundry later in the day, but not in heavy rain. I spent the rest of the afternoon at home. Looked over the books while running the rest of the Sondheim concert. The concert put me in a musical mood; I continued it with That's Entertainment Part III

Had just enough time for some Miss Spider and her crew after That's Entertainment ended. Made lamb chops with mushrooms, roasted Brussels sprouts, and banana-chocolate chip bread for dinner during the cartoons.

Despite the title, only one episode, the title one, had anything to do with rainy days. Shimmer is looking forward to her first hatch (birth) day party...until the planned outdoor extravaganza has to be moved inside, due to bad weather. Shimmer's devastated, but her siblings find a way to make her laugh at her troubles. When Spidercus accuses Shimmer of stripping bark off bugs' homes in "Something Stinky In Sunny Patch," Stinky the Stinkbug, Squirt, and Bounce are on the case and determined to find the real thief. Miss Spider discovers that even the best mothers have limits when she hurts herself trying to get to all the kids' events at once in "Eight Is Not Enough." Miss Spider makes the kids a "ground house" as a play house to give the adults time to themselves. When Spidercus encourages Dragon the Dragonfly to make the Ground House more exclusive, Dragon learns that there's a line between making rules and being bossy...and that it's no fun when the rules drive out your club members.

No comments: