Sunday, February 03, 2013

Big Showdown In the Big Easy

Started off a sunny, snowy Super Bowl Sunday with Brunch With the Beatles. I picked it up around 10:30, when I finally awoke. The theme today was "Beatles Live Performances," including their stints on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was past 11:30 when I finally started working on Chocolate Pudding Pancakes topped with Apple-Pomegranate Flummery for breakfast. The pancakes didn't come out all that well - the batter was sticky, and they didn't cook as well as I would have liked.

I called Mom around 12:30. We mostly discussed this week's wild weather. Cape May County got a little more snow than we did, 4 inches compared to our 1-2. It was very light and fluffy snow, though, light enough for Mom to sweep it off of her wide driveway. The snow was already vanishing from my porch and steps, even as I talked to Mom. During the winter, my steps and most of my porch are in direct sunlight. Light snow vanishes quickly.

Spent the rest of the afternoon puttering around, listening to hard rock albums by the Doors, Bon Jovi, the Who, Queen, and Pink Floyd. I changed the American Girl dolls into slightly fancier winter clothes for Valentine's Day. Samantha is back in her pink and black Talent Show Dress. Jessa wears a red, white, and black Springfield Collection dress and black bolero jacket that doesn't really fit her all that well, but is the only good winter outfit she owns. I put Molly in the AG Revue Jitterbug dress, her red Hula Costume sweater, and those sparkly red tap shoes. Felicity is wearing her Laced Jacket and Brocade Petticoat again.

Work was busy for about the first hour-hour and a half after I arrived. Needless to say, once the Super Bowl started, the crowds ended. I spent two hours at the end of my shift shelving big carts stuffed full of returned items from the last two days. I did get to see a little of the game, including the 49ers' field goal that ended the first half, and the goofy Taco Bell commercial with the elderly people partying.

The Ravens were up 21-6 by the beginning of the second half. When I went in the back to retrieve my bike and coat after the store had closed, they were just barely winning, 31-29...much to my surprise, as it was 10PM, and I'd expected the game to be a lot closer to over than 9 minutes and 58 seconds.

I didn't find out why the game had run so late until I got home. It was flurrying when I got out; this time, there wasn't even enough to do much more than look pretty coming down. I switched on the radio to hear the last few minutes of the game. One of the radio announcers mentioned a black out. Seems the lights went off in the Super Dome during the third quarter, delaying the game by a half-hour...which ended up working to my advantage. The 49ers looked like they might make a comeback, but the Ravens got a hold of the ball in the last minutes, pushing them ahead to win the game 34-31.

Everyone is going to be going absolutely insane around here for the next few weeks. Joe Flacco, the Ravens' star quarterback, is a native of Audubon. He played on their high school football team. The Acme was awash in purple and black this weekend. He ended up being the game's MVP and making some big plays.

No comments: