Saturday, March 02, 2013

Into the Spring of Things

I was up late online last night and slept in. By the time I headed out to run some much-needed errands, it was past noon. My first stop was Avenue, the only clothing store left in the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center with clothes I would wear and could fit into. I just needed a pair of black winter work pants. My old pair finally wore out, and the slacks I bought from LL Bean turned out to be too knitted and sweats-like for the Acme. (That's ok, too. Those will replace a pair of somewhat similar pants I bought from WalMart at least five years ago.)

I did find a good pair on clearance for $15.95. They're a little thinner than I would have liked, but they're long and comfortable and fit pretty well. They're also cotton - and just right for work. I don't know why they have a tie belt when they also have three buttons, but whatever.

(Oh, and while the former FYE remains empty, something did replace the former Fashion Bug...a Rainbow. Yet another clothing store for teenagers and urban hipsters. Like we need another one. The mall already has Deb and Dots, and a similar store just closed in the FYE's old spot.)

Braved Saturday traffic to head across the parking lot to the other side of the mall. I wanted to check out the laptops at Staples. I saw two Lenovos for everyday use that I liked. The smaller one was about $379 on sale. The larger one had far more memory, but their was no price attached to it; I assumed it was out of stock. I didn't get a laptop today, but I did buy a Martha Stewart notebook on sale that would be perfect for my next morning journal.

Next up were two quick stops. Stopped at a very busy America's Best to make an appointment for my annual eye exam. After that, I dodged the traffic on the Black Horse Pike and hiked up the hill to Mt. Ephram's PNC Bank branch. The location isn't in the nicest part of town - a lot of the buildings on that part of the Black Horse Pike are empty or are a bit on the scuzzy side. This, coupled with the traffic, is why I never really liked using that branch. The bank was long closed by the time I got there. I quickly deposited my paycheck in the ATM machine and hurried back down the hill. I debated eating out, but decided I'd rather save my money after the shopping and just rode home.

Spent the rest of the afternoon quietly. I watched cartoons and Good Eats episodes while making scrambled eggs with Swiss cheese and winter vegetables for lunch. After I ate, I worked on some things on the computer, including household inventories and something that Mrs. Stahl, my counselor, asked me to do. She wanted me to write out all the negative thoughts I get into my head and think of ways I could put some positive ones in. I did do it...but when I turned on the printer, I discovered it was out of red and black/white ink. Arrgh! And I was just at Staples. I'll go back there Monday after my eye appointment.

I actually was asked to work late tonight by a manager last Saturday - one of the college boys had to turn down the hours suddenly. That was fine. All my plans today were for the morning and afternoon. As it turned out, I wasn't the only one who came in. We were really short-handed. In addition to call-outs earlier in the week, there were at least two people who called out that day. Thankfully, it was on-and-off busy until about 7, after which it died so fast, I left a few minutes early.

No comments: