Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Rainy Days and Disappointments

Started the morning off with a couple of Tiny Toon Adventures episodes that spoof superheroes and 80s/early 90s blockbusters. "A Quack In the Quarks" was one of the first episodes; I guess Steven Spielburg decided to get out all his cracks at his buddy George Lucas early on. Plucky brags to two "exchange students" about his athletic prowess...but gets the shock of his life when the students turn out to be aliens who want him to go up against the evil Duck Vader!

"Cinemaniacs" pokes fun at three seminal film franchises of the 80s. Babs and Montana Max send up the Christopher Reeve "Superman" films. Plucky leads Hampton and a rare vocal Furball on a really strange "Star Trek." Max returns as the villain in Buster's Indiana Jones adventure, "Nebraska Smith and the Meaning of Life."

"Inside Plucky Duck" takes us into the mind of my favorite Tiny Toon to see what makes him tick...and what was making many boys tick in the early 90s was the hugely popular Tim Burton Batman. Plucky makes fun of not only the 60s and Burton's take on the role, but the merchandising that exploded in the wake of the film's runaway success. The second story is even funnier, especially if you know anything about Looney Tunes history. After an botched attempt to imitate his idol Daffy, Plucky gets stuck in a "wild take" that leaves him a walking eyeball! Buster does everything he can to bring his avian pal back to as normal as he'll ever get.

The weather was not pleasant. It wasn't raining hard, but the winds were crazy. I was going to run to the Oaklyn Library, then to CVS, before lunch. I did end up going to the Library. Needless to say, it was just me, the librarian, and one or two other people on the computers. I organized DVDs and kids' books for an hour.

The rain was starting to pick up when I left. I decided to just get milk at WaWa and get throat drops another time. And of course, by the time I was heading home from WaWa, the rain was down to sprinkles again. Thankfully, even with the wind, it wasn't really cold.

I was about to settle in to an afternoon of lunch and cleaning and avoiding the weather when the phone rang. Yes, it was the Acme. Could I come in by 2:30? No. It was 1:40. I hadn't had lunch yet or made dinner. Not to mention, I really hate it when they call at the last moment. I arrived by 3PM.

I have no idea why I was called in. No one called out. The crowds were only heavy during rush hour. It was steady but not bad the rest of the night. I took the hours because I do need to save for a laptop...but I really wish they'd give me more notice. I'm not a nurse or a doctor.

The expected snow hasn't arrived yet. Even Action News' AccuWeather on Channel 6 said we were now supposed to get rain and a ton of wind, nothing more. It seems that the snow arched around us, across central Pennsylvania to New York. It was raining fairly hard when I went to work. By the time I finished at 9, it not only wasn't raining, but looked like it hadn't in a while. It was just windy.

No comments: