Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Tooth, and Nothing But the Tooth

I'm glad today was sunny and bright and actually a bit chilly for this time of year, barely into the upper 60s. I had a lot of running around to do, starting with my dental appointment. I had my much-feared root canal this morning. Actually, between the injection and the thick layers of plastic placed around my tooth to keep it from getting messy, I didn't really feel much pain at that point. There was more pressure from the plastic than from the scraping and drilling. They did reschedule my Monday appointment to October 7th to give the tooth more time to recover before putting a crown on it. (Fine by me. I won't have to finish my vacation with another visit to the dentist's.)

I decided I didn't feel like rushing anything, so I just rode to counseling early. I stopped at the bike shop in Haddonfield on my way. I forgot to buy spare inner tubes the last time I was there. I like to have spares around, just in case one goes suddenly. I also picked up a new combination lock. I had mine for at least six or seven years, and it's much-used. The numbers actually rubbed off.

Even after leaving the bike shop, I was still early for counseling. I was so early, Mrs. Stahl hadn't even arrived yet. I sat on the brick steps for about five minutes or so before she appeared. I finally got in with her about 10 of 1.

I explained my busy couple of weeks and how crazy everything had been. I did enjoy my day trip to Atlantic City, and she pretty much said do more with that and make use of the buses. Of course, I'll be visiting Mom and Dad-Bill in Erma starting tomorrow, but I'd like to go other places and check out other local towns on the bus routes, like Marlton and Voorhees. I'd also still like to make that New York trip someday. Basically, Mrs. Stahl said keep saving your money and making trips, both on the bus and on the bike, and when you can't make trips, try to do other things you enjoy that'll make you happy and get your mind off the job.

Since the needles had worn off by the time I finished with my counseling sessions, I opted for a quick lunch. I hit Animo Juice and Burritos Bar. It wasn't quite as busy this time as it had been the last time I was there (not a surprise, since it was nearly 2:30 by then). I went with a more familiar "Quick Chicken" petito (small burrito) filled with chicken, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and Animo's house vinaigrette. My juice was a junior-sized "Cobbler" (blueberry, apple, peach, and granola). This time, both were delicious...but my just-drilled tooth was starting to get sore, which made it a little hard to enjoy them.

Stopped at Haddon Township Library on my way back. I had to drop off books anyway. I mostly just organized the kids' DVDs. The library was busy with kids looking for books and DVDs to watch with their parents. I helped one girl find Barbie movies and Dora the Explorer, two boys look for Scooby Doo, and an older girl find SpongeBob. I didn't take out anything myself, since I'll be gone for a couple of days this week.

My tooth was growing more sore by the minute. The doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotics to take every eight hours to make the swelling go down. I decided to dodge the traffic on Cuthbert and Nicholson and get the prescription now, instead of doing it tomorrow before I leave. Thankfully, the Acme wasn't busy. I had more than enough time to pick up the pills and buy a few things I needed, like oatmeal and butter, not to mention take out some more money for my trip and the weekend.

When I finally got home, I decided my tooth wasn't up to anything fancy and just made a peanut butter and apricot preserves sandwich and a sliced tomato with raspberry vinaigrette. I finished out the Tom and Jerry Tales episodes I started this morning, then ran two animated TV show episodes on traveling. Tyrone leads The Backyardigans on a merry chase to the mystical Tibet mountains to find the mysterious Polka-Dot Flying Pony in "Follow the Feather." Serena and her family are taking a less-exotic vacation to a local  hot springs in a first season show, "Last Resort." When the Negaverse unleashes a nasty and jealous lake monster, can Serena rescue her family...without revealing her identity?

No comments: