Monday, April 14, 2014

Birthday Adventures

It was cloudy, windy, and a little chilly when I got up this morning. Despite the weather, I still wanted to enjoy my birthday off. (Especially since I didn't take my birthday off last year. It was on a Sunday, and I had counseling that Tuesday.) I started with a couple of birthday-themed cartoons. Yogi Bear's scheduled to appear on TV. He thinks it's a variety special, but it's really "Yogi's Birthday Party," with special appearances by all the Hanna Barbara funny animals made through the early 60s. "Mickey's Birthday Party" is Mickey Mouse's second birthday short (and first in color). While he and his friends have fun dancing to the organ Minnie gave him, Goofy's cake gets a little explosive. Pluto was the birthday dog in Mickey's third birthday short, "Pluto's Party." All Pluto wants is cake, but the excitable kid guests Mickey invited to his party would rather play games and use him as a horse.

I headed out after "Pluto's Party" ended. Made a brief stop at Dad's to say "hi," but his house was locked, and no one seemed to be home. I just moved on to Barrington. Though it was still pretty nice, it was also very windy. It was a bit of a rough ride. Didn't help that they're finally repairing the road under the highway pass near Barrington.

I arrived in Barrington a little early, around quarter after 10. My bus wasn't until 10:40, so I strolled to the Barrington Coffee House and bought an iced chai tea with skim milk. The Barrington Coffee House seemed to have gotten some remodeling since my last visit. It's still dark and musty, but it now has booths and a more colorful, less gourmet menu and looks more like a small, fancy diner than a coffee house.

I did pick up that 10:40 bus to Deptford. There was no traffic and no problems on the road or on a mostly empty bus. I got off at AC Moore first. I wanted to check out their Springfield Collection doll items - I didn't have the money to buy anything when I was last in Deptford in October. I was in luck. They were having a 30% off all Springfield Collection items this week. I ended up with a ballet/gymnastics skirt and leotard and ballet slippers for my dancers Molly and Whitney, espadrilles and a navy polka-dot bathing suit for Whitney, and a two-outfit set with a plaid skirt, khakis, a pink long-sleeved t-shirt with a rose on it, and a plain white t-shirt and brown shoes for Jessa and Whitney. I also found a pretty crystal beaded bracelet for $2 and a WebKinz Key Lime Dinosaur for $2.50. All of this came up to $44.

I was heading towards Target and had just walked across the bridge over the highway when I heard my cell phone go off. I "pulled in" under a bush to take it without having to concentrate on walking, too. It was Dad-Bruce. He was still on his business trip, but he wanted to call me to wish me a Happy Birthday anyway. I told him I was in Deptford and enjoying my shopping. He was apparently about to board a train and would be home by Easter Sunday.

Made my way down to the service road that runs behind Target; it was quicker than going around past Friendly's. Target was, other than a few mothers and their children, quite dead for a Monday afternoon. I was mainly there for underwear. They have a better selection than the Wal Mart in Audubon - and they actually keep it in stock. I wasn't as impressed by their Easter seasonal selection as I was with their Halloween aisles. A lot of the seasonal section had already been given over to summer furniture and garden items. I did find a Pillsbury Key Lime cake mix I hadn't seen anywhere else (they also had Orange Creamsicle). I grabbed the recent 40th anniversary re-release of Disney's animated Robin Hood from the electronics area - that's on of the few Disney movies I like that I didn't have. Got almond extract as well; it's cheaper there than at the Acme, along with this year's Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie Preview.

There are three restaurants in Target's parking lot. I'd eaten at Applebee's and Pizza Hut before, but I'd never tried Don Pablo's Mexican Kitchen, a huge brown block directly across from Target. I'd always wanted to, but I figured they'd be some overpriced sit-down eatery, like Applebee's. Much to my surprise, the lunch menu prices were actually quite reasonable. It was pretty much like Tortilla Press in Collingswood, but with better prices, a bar, and a slightly darker, grittier atmosphere. There were black and white photos of old Mexico and beautiful tile murals on the faux-exposed-brick walls. I ate at one of the smaller booths in the very back. I opted for the $7.99 enchiladas from the lunch menu. The food came piping hot - literally so, as the chicken was still sizzling and giving off steam when the waiter brought it to my table! I had three soft tortillas, chicken, grilled onions and peppers, lettuce, salsa, gucamole, cheese, and a big plate of rice. It was all delicious, once the steam subsided.

After lunch, I strolled over to the Deptford Mall. You can tell it's been a long time since I went there. For one thing, the shopping center across from them was a crumbling eye sore the last time I saw it. It had been completely remodeled (and the old movie theater was demolished) and now seemed to house the Christmas Tree Shop and Bed Bath & Beyond, among other big box stores.

The Deptford Mall was also in the midst of remodeling, especially on the second floor. The tiles on more than half the upper level were being replaced, which didn't make walking around easy. I did do what I needed to do. I had a coupon for 25% off most things in JC Penney I got in a flyer in the mail last week. I bought a new pair of work pants (the ones I bought a few weeks ago didn't fit), a new pair of jean shorts (the old ones also don't fit), and a blue t-shirt to replace the one that was now a bit faded. All of this came to $49 with the coupon and sales.

I strolled around a bit after that. I had a Happy Birthday Cupcake - a yellow cupcake with sprinkles, cream cheese icing, and buttercream filling - at a little cupcake bakery called Crumbs. I happily chatted with a college-age girl buying a red velvet cupcake while I enjoyed my treat. I browsed in Forever 21 and The Disney Store, but didn't walk away with anything from either.

I debated staying another hour or so, but eventually just took the 3:18 back to Barrington. I got in 20 minutes later. Even with the rush-hour traffic on the White Horse Pike and stopping at the Audubon WaWa for a Cherry Icee, I still made it home by quarter after 4.

I had a few more doll items waiting for me when I got in. My two eBay birthday presents to myself were a lovely hand-made polka-dot dress that was supposed to be for Molly, but the skirt is so wide, I decided it looked more 50s and turned it over to Whitney, and a hula outfit with a floral bathing suit for Jessa and the cutest pineapple-shaped ukulele.

I spent the rest of the evening putting everything away, making a quick dinner of flounder and strawberries, and watching the PBS special Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle. This three-part mini-series covers the three "ages" of comic book heroes, from the "Golden Age" patriotic and alien heroes who came out of Depression fantasies, to the "Silver Age" mortals who gained powers through science or simply by being born with them, to the "Bronze Age" and beyond, where anyone, from psychopaths to children, can be "super." While I already knew a lot of the history covered, the special did make me realize how the popularity of superheroes rise and fall with the level of danger in the world. They were at their lowest ebb in the late 40s-50s and after the comics collapse of the mid-late 90s...and hit peaks of popularity during times when the world was in turmoil, including their creation during the downtrodden Depression. It would explain their re-emergence now as well, as Nazis, gangsters, aliens, and drug runners are replaced by corrupt governments and terrorists.

Went into some more superheroes as I got ready to go online. It's a birthday to remember for Sailor Moon. First, Serena thinks everyone's forgotten her birthday. Turns out the other Soldiers are having a surprise party. Darien buys her glass shoes to make up for seeming to forget...but the shoes are turned into a monster that takes Serena's broach that allows her to turn into Sailor Moon! Now she has to rescue her boyfriend and keep her pure heart, without turning into Sailor Moon!

No comments: