Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Mythology In the Real World

Today was my early work day. It rained lightly as I was riding there, but nothing that made me more than a bit damp. It wasn't that busy when I got in at 10 - I spent a little while doing returns leftover from the busy weekend - but it picked up by the noon rush hour and was steady for the rest of the day. I had no problems getting out - in fact, my relief was early.

The sun was coming out even as I rode to work this morning. By the time I got out, the rain was long gone, but the clouds were returning. The streets weren't even all that wet anymore. It had also gotten much warmer; I changed into more seasonally-appropriate attire as soon as I got in.

I found this really neat spring cake mix at work - one layer is pink, and one is yellow! I worked on that, then had leftover chicken and "French Salad" for dinner while watching Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. Percy, the child of the Greek god Poseidon and a mortal woman, has settled quite happily in with the other "half-bloods," children of humans and gods, at the camp where they train. The camp is protected by the tree that is the spirit of a child who died. When the tree is poisoned, the camp's leaders fear it could be invaded by outside forces. Clarisse, the very arrogant daughter of Hades, is sent to get the Golden Fleece that'll heal the tree. Percy has his own problems. He's troubled by a prophecy that could foretell his death or being the savior of the world. He also just discovered he has a half-brother named Tyson, who happens to be a cyclops. Tyson is about as far from your typical cyclops as Percy is from a bird - he's naive, sweet, and gentle. Percy wants to prove he's more than a "one-quest wonder," so he and his friends Grover and Annabeth go after Clarisse in the hope of rescuing the Fleece and proving that one makes one's own destiny.

Same deal as the previous movie in this series - a fun teen retelling of a famous myth, in this case the journey to find the Golden Fleece. Lots of cute modern gags (especially where Hermes works and the one-eyed sisters who drive the New York cab). If you enjoyed the first one, or love Greek mythology, you'll probably like this one as well.

No comments: