Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Shadow Over A Sunny Day

I worked relatively early today, at 11 (and will work in the morning again tomorrow). It was a beautiful, sunny day, windy but not that cold, in the lower 60s. Everyone must have done their shopping when it rained over the weekend. It was on-and-off steady all day. The only time it got nearly as busy as it did over the weekend was during the 4 to 6 rush hour.

Though most people were in decent moods, I did have trouble with one older woman who came in during the early afternoon. She kicked up a fuss about the coupon that allows you to get two bottles of Clorox bleach for 88 cents. She got so mad, she cursed at me...and when I told her she needed to stop being rude, she just yelled some more. I know I shouldn't let people upset me, but I don't want people cursing at me or being angry at me. She said she had "problems" and had just had an argument with the cable company. (Gee, the way she talked to me, I'm not surprised.)

I did not want to return to dealing with people after that. It wasn't busy anyway, so I went to the bathroom, then spent the next hour before my break doing the two still-full carts of returns. I actually saw that same woman later, harassing one of the college boys over the Monopoly game tickets. As he pointed out, there was no reason for it. It's only a game. I was so happy when my relief was on time and was able to take over those rush hour crowds.

After all the trouble at work, I didn't feel like sitting at home. When I got home, I changed into my Atlantic City t-shirt, then went right back out again. Thought an evening out might lift my spirits. I ended up having breakfast for dinner at the Legacy Diner on the White Horse Pike in Audubon, as I did on New Year's Day. It was almost 6 by the time I made it there, and the place was packed with families and older groups having dinner.

I once again opted for breakfast for dinner. This time, I went with a western omelet - ham, onion, and peppers in eggs - hash browns, and whole wheat toast with orange marmalade. The eggs weren't bad, a little dry but filled with ham and vegetable pieces. Nobody makes hash browns like my stepdad, but at least theirs isn't too greasy. I had a pleasant meal, listening to the family on one side of me and the two older women on the other side.

When I got out, I crossed the White Horse Pike (despite the heavy rush hour traffic) and headed to Cuthbert Road. I deserved ice cream. I overheard someone say Kayla's Custard Stand was already open. It was open when I got there, though understandably quiet on a Wednesday evening. I swung back and forth on the rocking tables, enjoying my Pina Colada soft-serve ice cream and watching the cars go by on the corner of Cuthbert and the White Horse Pike.

Had a nice ride home, too. I was far from the only person who wanted to get out and enjoy the evening. If people weren't riding home in their cars, they were out walking. I saw packs of kids chatting with each other. I saw little kids playing in their front yards. Their parents walked the dog, pushed their strollers, finished working on the garden, cleaned the car, or chatted with their neighbors.

No comments: