Friday, April 18, 2014

Good N' Busy Friday

Started today at work. I was only there for four hours in the morning and early afternoon, but they were mobbed the entire time. Everyone must have gotten off early for Good Friday or had off today. There were a few people in grumpy moods, but otherwise, there were no major problems. An incoming manager came in for me so I could get out on time.

I just need to pick up a few groceries, mostly fruit. I didn't really eat at home a lot this week. The Acme was having a 40% off all Lancaster (Acme) brand and Purdue chicken this week; I went with thin-cut breasts and fillets. Most of what I needed was produce - apples, bananas, grapefruit (they put the citrus where the fruit bowls used to be), mushrooms, frozen corn. Restocked eggs; found 99 cent hot cross buns on the massively overstuffed bakery clearance shelves. Bought the York Peppermint Patty Easter bag because I wasn't sure they would have any left after Easter - the Yorks always disappear fast, and they're my favorite.

As it turns out, the Acme is selling glass beverage dispensers this year. They're actually nicer (though not as colorful) as the watermelon print jar I broke a few weeks ago. I bought a 3.5 quart mason jar-style container to use for iced tea. It's nice and thick; the other jar was probably too big anyway.

My schedule is pretty much the same as last week, with earlier days and Easter Sunday off instead of Monday. Unfortunately, that includes the eight hour shifts two days in a row...but it also includes Friday and Saturday off. (And considering how wiped I am, I hope I actually get Friday off this time.)

When I got home, I put everything away, then went back out. I had to return those DVDs and books to the Haddon Township Library. It was cloudy this morning, but while it remained a bit chilly, it wasn't as bad as earlier in the week. By 3:30, the wind was gone and the sun was out...and with it came half of Camden County. Newton River Park was swarming with strollers, dog walkers, kids playing on the playground, Canadian geese, and people on bikes, roller skates, and roller blades. No wonder - the park is beautiful now. The trees are laden with flowers and new leaves; the grass is much greener. Little bursts of yellow dandelions and buttercups have appeared on the river banks.

The Haddon Township Library was fairly busy for late in the day. They were closing early, which gave me just enough time to shelve and organize the kids' DVDs. I had some help, too. The most adorable four-year-old girl stood with me and helped put titles on the shelves while her grandma took out books. She said she loved Dora the Explorer and wanted to see the Dora Easter episode, though Grandma said they'd take out movies later in the week. I didn't get a chance to take anything out, either. I just put the other DVDs away and headed out. I have plenty of things to watch for Easter, and at least two movies (Gold Diggers of 1933 and the Disney animated Robin Hood) I've bought but haven't watched yet.

After a quick stop at Dollar Tree for Easter cards and an Easter garland for my bedroom, I ended up at Friendly's for dinner. I was simply too pooped after my long week to consider cooking! I had a Build-Your-Own-Burger chicken sandwich on a whole-wheat roll with lettuce, onion, spicy mustard, and pickles. The real reason I was there, though, was because their front window advertised a new Red Velvet Cake ice Cream flavor. I can't resist Red Velvet anything. Yuuuumm. I had a one-scoop dish. It was sooooo good, rich and thick, with big pieces of real cake.

I swung by Dad's on my way home to see if he'd arrived yet. He hadn't, but Jodie was there. She said we'd be having Easter dinner at Dad's house around 3PM, and I was welcome to come and bring dessert. I'll make the Key Lime cake mix I bought at Target for them.

Spent the rest of the evening in the bath. I needed that so badly. This has been a very long week - I felt like I've barely sat down since last Sunday. Thankfully, I am off tomorrow. Haddon Heights has moved their town-wide yard sale to next week, but there's enough left still being held on the original date to check out.

No comments: