Friday, April 25, 2014

"Flash! Ahhhh! He'll Save Every One Of Us!"

Actually, I slept in this morning and didn't get going until 10:30 or out and about until past 11. It was a beautiful day for a ride to the Haddon Township Library. Newton River Park was absolutely gorgeous. It was warm, in the mid-upper 60s, windy and sunny as could be. I dodged lots of people who were out enjoying the fine weather, including a dad with his little daughter on her first training wheels bike and several dog-walkers.

Needless to say, the Haddon Township Library wasn't that busy. There were few returns on the DVD shelves and not a lot for me to do. I pretty much limited it to organizing the kids' titles. Even that didn't take too long. There were only a few "S" titles that needed to be placed on other shelves. I was in and out in less than an hour.

I made a quick stop at Dollar Tree to buy sponges, then managed to get across a Cuthbert Road that was busy with lunch traffic and head to Capitol Pizza in Oaklyn. They were also busy with people eating their noon meal and watching The Chew. I had a plain cheese slice, a slice loaded with broccoli and mushrooms, and a can of Diet Pepsi while looking over Collingswood's paper advertising local events, What's Going On?

There was a package waiting for me when I got home. I ordered a few items and outfits from American Girl for my birthday that I really wanted, or suspect will retire when AG revamps the historical line in late August. I bought Josefina's Dress and Vest, Ivy's Accessories for my Asian modern doll Jessa (I thought the purse that looked like it was made from an old pair of jeans was especially cute), and Rebecca's School Outfit for my 20th and 21st century dolls to share.

I changed Josefina into the Dress and Vest right away. I couldn't believe how stunning she was. The bright red printed skirt with gold trim looked absolutely gorgeous on her. The soft, velvety vest was so cute. It paired really well with her bright gold shawl from the Heirlooms Accessories set, too. I changed her hair into the best twist I could manage, tied with a red ribbon.

I made a quick run to the Acme around 4PM. I wanted to make a very short grocery trip and get my schedule. For once, I really didn't need much. I mainly wanted to restock fruit and the dollar packs of fish fillets. I also bought a chicken stir fry pack with cut chicken and vegetables for dinner (the chicken fillets I was originally going to have tonight probably wouldn't defrost in time).

My schedule is probably the best I've had in almost a month. While I do have an early 8-hour day (Tuesday) and a 7 hour day (Wednesday), everything else isn't too early or long, and nothing is later than 6. I once again have next Friday and Saturday off.

When I got home, I put my small order away, then went straight in the bath. It felt nice, once I figured out how to sit down without making my sore side worse. I read The Three Musketeers and listened to songs written by 40s-50s pop and stage composer Jules Styne, who did Gypsy, Bells are Ringing, and songs from several hit 40s movies, including Romance On the High Seas and It Happened In Brooklyn.

When I came out, I started Flash Gordon Conquors the Universe while I made Chicken Stir Fry with brown rice for dinner, and later when I went online. This was the third and final Flash Gordon serial made by Universal in the 30s and early 40s. In the first half of the serial, Flash, his girl Dale, and scientist Zarkov must find an antidote for the Purple Death plague on Earth in the cold wastelands of Frigia. The second half takes us back to Mongo, as the evil Ming the Merciless intends to destroy Arboria, the home of Flash's ally Prince Barin. He takes Dale, Zarkov, and Barin's wife Azura hostage, forcing Flash and the others to rescue them.

All three Flash Gordon serials were wildly popular, and it's not hard to tell why. The special effects, which look rather cheesy now, must have been top-notch in 1940. Buster Crabbe was the pre-eminent action hero in serials in the late 30s and early 40s, and he has just as much fun here. Carol Rogers takes over as Dale; Charles Middleton remains the infamously evil Ming.

If you've only seen the 1980 movie, give the serials a look sometime to see the same plots more-or-less taken seriously, bullet-shaped space ships, exploding robots, and all.

Oh, and I have no idea when it started raining. It wasn't raining when I was in the bath. I didn't even notice it until I was making dinner and saw that it was wet outside. It's coming down now, but it's supposed to subside in time for Haddon Heights' town-wide yard sale tomorrow.

No comments: