Monday, April 07, 2014

Farewell to Andy Hardy

Started the morning off with a couple of episodes of the original 1980s/90s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon before I headed to work. Shredder and his boys want to find "The Ninja Sword From Nowhere." It was made from an alien metal that can slice through dimensions. Shredder imprisons Splinter in one of the dimensions and intends to force the Turtles to give themselves up, but the Turtles manage to turn the tables. The Turtles - except for surfer dude Michelangelo - are crazy about western movies. They get to play John Wayne when a steer accidentally wallows in chemicals and becomes a "Mutagen Monster."

Work was once again busy the entire day. Cool, rainy weather later on didn't stop the crowds or improve anyone's mood. We had very long lines, even with plenty of help. Thankfully, they were able to corral one of the stock boys to come in for me so I could get out at a decent time.

(Oh, and...sigh. A fond farewell to the eternally energetic Mickey Rooney, who died today at 93. I saw the news when a customer was buying a copy of the Courier-Post and had it turned to the front page. I knew him as lighthouse keeper Lampy in Pete's Dragon and the horse trainer in The Black Stallion years before I'd ever heard of Andy Hardy. At least now he can  dance with Judy Garland again. : ( )

It had just started to sprinkle when I arrived at work at 10. By the time I finished at 5, it was pouring. I tried waiting it out, but it just kept coming down. I just rode home and got soaked.

Since I was already wet, I went straight in the bath when I got in. After a long day and a long week (and with a long week coming up), I seriously needed to relax. I read The Way We Lived (on fashion, living conditions, family, health, and leisure in the 20th century) and listened to the second Unsung Musicals CD. The rain kept coming down.

Switched to an episode of Moonlighting during dinner. In "Yours Very Deadly" from the third season, a wealthy woman hires Maddie and David to find out who sent her a series of love letters that started getting ugly when she wrote back and tried to break things off. The trail leads to the post office, then to poor immigrant whom they saw at the PO box the woman gave them. There's more to this case than meets the eye, though, especially when people start turning up dead. Meanwhile, Agnes wants to turn up the heat on her and Bert's relationship, but he may not be ready to go that far.

Oh, and happy birthday to my sister Rose! I need to figure out what to get her - I'd at least like to thank her for driving me to work for most of the winter.

No comments: