Thursday, November 06, 2014

Seasons of Rain

It was pouring when I opened my eyes this morning. I slept as late as I could get away with, then ran my first Christmas special of the year while having cereal and a half of a grapefruit for breakfast. Very Merry Christmas Songs started as Disney's holiday edition of it's long-running Sing-A-Long videos. On its transfer to DVD, it gained at least ten new songs, most of them revolving around modern cartoons from Disney's House of Mouse or Mickey Mouse Works or segments from the direct-to-video sequels. This isn't the most necessary thing to have, but it makes nice background music during the holidays; also great if you want to see segments from some programming that is either out of print or no longer available as a stand-alone disc. (Many of the direct-to-video movies were re-released with their original.)

The rain was down to mist when I took my bike for a quick session at the Oaklyn Library. There were people in and out, mostly Friends of the Library committee members and people on the computer. They'd just gotten a lot of new DVDs...and as usual, didn't get the entire sticker on the top off. I wish they'd be more careful (and I have mentioned that). I organized both kids and adults' titles and worked on the board books. I was out in about 40 minutes. I wanted time for lunch before I headed to work.

When I got home, I had chicken soup and Cranberry Flummery for lunch while watching Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving. This compilation film is two winter-themed episodes of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh with the Thanksgiving special and some new linking material. In the first story, after Rabbit loses pages from his calender, he thinks it's Groundhog's Day. The others dress Piglet as a groundhog in order to tell when spring is. The second is the Thanksgiving special. Rabbit tries to get the others to find the ingredients for a "traditional" Thanksgiving. His party is a disaster...until Pooh reminds him that they're more thankful for him than for traditional trappings. The third story introduces Rabbit's beloved bird daughter Kessie and tells how he found her, and how things changed between them when she learned to fly.

Threw on two episodes of Max & Ruby while I got ready for work.  Ruby is happy to help Grandma set the table for "Max's Thanksgiving." Her brother is more interested in Grandma's nut stuffing. In "Ruby's Candy Store," Ruby gets to help out the local candy store owner for a day. She tries out all the tempting treats, but keeps telling her brother to eat fruit. In the end, they both learn that too much of a good thing can sometimes lead to a rather upset tummy.

The rain had stopped when I left the library. The sun briefly attempted to come out on my way to work. It didn't last. By 5PM, it was raining again. The weather must have kept customers at home. It was on-and-off steady all night, but never as bad as last weekend or earlier this week. I even helped do returns for about a half-hour later in the night. When I finished, the rain was long gone again, and I got home dry.

No comments: