Sunday, August 05, 2018

Champagne Music and Rainy Evenings

Began the morning with Blueberry-Chocolate Chip Pancakes and the soundtrack from New York, New York. This 1977 movie may have been a rather odd soap opera, but it has some terrific music. Along with the popular title song and the musical spoof "Happy Endings" for Liza Minnelli, there were several hot big band numbers like "Hazoy" and "V.J Stomp," a nice "Just You, Just Me" for Minnelli, and "Blue Moon" for Robert DiNiro and Mary Kay Place.

Work wasn't bad when I got in. I spent most of the first hour and the last few hours doing returns and the inside trash. In between, though, people started to come in from church...and it really got bad. I had a hard time keeping up with all the carts! It didn't help that the afternoon bagger was late. Apparently, he thought he was coming in at 2, rather than 1. (Honest mistake - I've done that, too - and he usually arrives early.) Thankfully, it slowed down enough after that for me to spend the remaining time with the returns and mopping up leaky freezers. (They haven't been as bad as they were during the summer of 2016, but there are a few.)

A paper on the bulletin boards for our schedule revealed that all people who work with the registers have to take a class in how to use the new computer system. To my annoyance, mine was tomorrow morning at 10:30. Apparently, we'll get paid for it, but I wasn't supposed to work until 1. I don't know why they couldn't have mentioned this on Friday, or better yet, last week, so people had more time to prepare.

Worked on writing for an hour when I got home. Vader has his men beat Harry with cords, then press him against the steaming boiler to burn him. Roberto Fettara burns him with his cigar as well. He and Leia both loudly protest that they don't know anything...but Vader is really only after one of them. He intends to turn Harry over to Yasmin Hutt, his gangster boss and ex-girlfriend. 

Rose called while I was writing to confirm our get-together. She had originally planned on ordering Mexican, but by the time I arrived, this had changed to her making bratwurst with a potato-zucchini hash and cubed watermelon for dinner. Yum. It was delicious (even if Khai wouldn't eat his bratwurst). I should have asked for her recipe for the hash - it was really tasty. (I might have to get potatoes on Saturday and see if I can try something similar.) 

She apparently did talk to the family in Cape May, and will be doing so again as soon as she can. They're trying to get their affairs down there settled, especially with Mom and Dad-Bill's house. Mom's not sure they'll be able to sell it for a good price if they have to. I agree with Rose - I don't see why they couldn't. It's a brand new house, about 12 years old. Not only is it still in decent shape, but it's at the Jersey Shore. Even inland, the Shore is pretty expensive.

We finished out the paperwork after dinner. Even after she changed her, poor Finley had diaper rash and was fussy. Rose held her while we went over the paperwork. Actually, most of it was already signed back in February. We went over the entire document, re-did some signatures in pen, and signed and re-dated the remainder. Rose called Jodie and told her to make the doctor's appointment while I was there. (And I still need to remember to get a general doctor and do a check-up.)

It was Jodie who pointed out that it had started raining. Rose's house is bracketed closely by two other houses on either side of her. We hadn't even noticed the rain until she saw that the sage-green shingles on the house next-door were wet. I hung around with her, Khai, and Finley for a while, watching Spongebob Squarepants (Spongebob's pet snail Gary ran away) and a newer show about a trio of bears called We Bare Bears (they went to school - and the grizzly was sent to the principal's office). I might have to check around for DVD sets of the latter. I love anything involving bears, and the episodes I saw were cute. 

Finley is in love with a playlist of 10 music videos appropriate for children. Many of them are songs from recent movies, including "Let It Go" from Frozen, "Try Everything" from Zootopia, "Can't Stop the Feeling" from Trolls, and "Feel the Light" from Home, along with "Happy" and "Something Big." That got Rose and I chatting about animated movies we liked, both recent and from our childhoods. Finley was really fascinated by the videos. She stood in front of Rose's big TV and just stared.

The rain had stopped by quarter of 8; it was humid and still very wet, but not hot. Even so, I turned the air conditioner on when I got in. I'm finishing the night with episodes of The Lawrence Welk Show on YouTube. I started watching Lawrence Welk when I was in college in the early 2000's. It was one of the few places besides TCM I could see musical performances on TV then, and "champagne music" made great background noise for studying on a Saturday evening. Eventually, my roommates joined me, and we'd all study together while people sang, tap-danced, and played the accordion. Yeah I know the show was corny even when these episodes were filmed in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's, but the dancers and some of the singers are a lot of fun. (If nothing else, you can make fun of the hideous hair and some of the very 60's-70's costumes.)

If you have fond memories of Welk and his "musical family" too, here's a couple of episodes to get you started:

No comments: