Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Hot Times In Late Summer

Began the day with one more Neil Simon musical. They're Playing Our Song would be his last hit musical on Broadway. It's a departure from his previous three shows, which were all big, traditional musicals. This one is an intimate two-character piece with a six-person chorus. Vernon (Robert Klein) is an Oscar-winning composer who's looking for a new partner. He never expected to find her in Sonia (Lucie Arnez), a scatterbrained lyricist who is getting over a bad breakup with her boyfriend Leon. They do start sleeping with each other, but she ultimately returns to Leon, before he realizes that he can't live without her.

Though it was a long-running hit when it debuted in 1979, it's rarely been heard from since. Too bad. Real-life lovers Carol Bayer Sager and Martin Hamlish crafted some nice numbers, including the title song, Vernon and Sonia's "Workin' It Out" when they first meet, and the touching "Fill In the Words" for Vernon when he's in the hospital and writes a song about how much he misses Sonia. The "chorus" are three guys and three girls who act as alter-egos for the two leads.

Worked on writing for a while after breakfast. Yasmin tries to hypnotize Leia, but she's able to fight it off. The female gangster is about to try again when her boyfriend/orchestra leader Barry Fortune tells her that a reporter from the Daily Star is demanding an interview. It turns out to be a sober, black-clad Luke, who is highly suspicious of her involvement with the FBI agent who drove off the cliff the night before.

Broke for a quick lunch and another record. My LP version of Mickey and the Beanstalk uses most of the original cast, though I believe the voice of the harp is different. (And the narrator is a woman, rather than Edgar Bergen or Professor Ludwig Von Drake.) "My, What a Happy Day" sounds especially good here.

Headed out at quarter of 1 for Haddonfield after a quick stop at WaWa for the biggest bottle of water I could afford. Today was hazy, sunny, dry, and hot as heck, though a cool wind did help somewhat. I went straight down Cuthbert to Crystal Lake Road and across Haddonfield's back roads from there. It probably took longer, but the streets in Haddon Township and Haddonfield are shady and a bit cooler than elsewhere. It was so hot, I had to stop periodically to wipe the sweat off my face with a towel I brought for later. I'd slathered myself with suntan lotion before I left, and the lotion-infused water burned my eyes.

Discovered a new toy shop when I pulled in at King's Highway. Ninja' Toy Shop is tiny but jam-packed with toys from popular brands like Lego and Marvel. They had an especially good collection of Pokemon toys. I had to resist cuddling the cute Snorlax, Pikachu, and Venusaur. They even had an episode of the show on. (I can't believe Team Rocket are still blasting off after all this time.)

Had just enough time to ride over to Mrs. Stahl's office for counseling. I told her about my busy month, mainly spent at home. I've come to the conclusion that really do want to write for a living, and that my blogs would be a great way to start. A big part of the reason I was so hesitant to look for secretarial jobs is I haven't done anything like that since the early 2000's. I have been keeping up with my blog, though...and my blog consists of writing.

The problem is selling them. I'm hesitant to advertise myself. I've already gotten some trolls at my regular blog (though not in at least four years or so). I really don't want to encourage more. Having seen how ridiculous people behaved in both the Star Wars and American Girl fandoms, I'm all too aware of how hurtful people can be online. I've spent my entire life being tormented, shamed, and ridiculed because I'm different from everyone else.

On the other hand, I really need to make money somehow, and this and Craigslist seem to be my best options at the moment. It's just really scary for me to put myself out there. That child in my head and heart is terrified that she'll get hurt again.

Mrs. Stahl pretty much said "work on the blogs and try to put yourself out there." We'll see. At any rate, I have over a month and a half to do it. We won't be getting together again until early October, due to my vacation next month.

It was so hot (98 degrees, according to the digital sign outside of the Westmont Fire Station), a stop at Primo's Water Ice was mandatory. I caught them just at the right time. There were only two teenagers choosing ice cream and a mom buying sundaes for her kids. I'd barely ordered my mint chocolate chip water ice when at least two large families came in. I dodged them and ate my refreshing and VERY minty treat on a shaded bench outside.

Took Newton Lake Park back to Oaklyn this time. They weren't that busy; the few people there were fisher folk and a few brave souls out for a stroll. I made my way around them, admiring the brilliant sunshine on the bottle-green water.

Stopped at Dad and Jodie's for a swim. I brought my towel and bathing suit with me so I could get some time in. Their neighbor Sandy was the only person in the pool when I arrived. After she got out, I had the pool to myself for a while before Rose, Craig, and their kids arrived. Swam with them for another half-hour before we all got out so I could head home for dinner and Rose and Craig could order their kids Chinese.

Oh, and Jodie told me they'll be having their Labor Day party on Sunday instead of Monday. Most of the kids in the neighborhood will need to spend the rest of the week, including Labor Day, resting up for their return to school. I'll bring another icebox cake.

Had leftover fish tacos with escarole sauteed in lemon juice, white wine, and olive oil for dinner. Ran a couple of New Three Stooges cartoons while I ate. "The Classical Clinker" is Curly Joe, who makes an opera impresario believe he's a star via an opera recording and a wind-up Victrola. They earn their "Movie Scars" as oft-battered stunt men. "A Bull for Adamo" has them bringing bulls to the ring in Mexico, but they end up being mistaken for matadors and chased by one of their charges. "The Tree Nuts" have to stop a tricky termite from destroying the forest. They're western deputies who stop a "Tin Horn Dude" and his elderly creator from robbing banks.

Finished the night with Guys and Dolls, which I review at my my musical movies blog, Musical Dreams Reviews:

Guys and Dolls

No comments: