Thursday, August 23, 2018

Pink Porch Antics

I awoke to people on the porch for the first time in months. Even as I finished Hummus and Homicide, Charlie had decided that the lovely day was perfect to start working on it again. On one hand, I'm glad he's finally getting it done. On the other hand, first of all, he should have told me he was going to do it. I'm the one who actually lives here. I really don't enjoy spending my days off listening to him cursing deities and other races, either.

Put on a couple of classic Pink Panther cartoons to drown him out as I had oatmeal for breakfast. "The Pink Phink" kicked off the series (and would be the only one to win an Oscar). Pink wants to paint a house in his favorite color, but the actual owner wants it to be blue. They end up competing to see who can paint the house first. Pink explores a department store and avoids the janitor in "We Give Pink Stamps." "Pinkfinger" parodies the spy movies that were popular at the time as a narrator encourages Pink to become a secret agent and ferret out a nest of evil-doers. "Reel Pink" has him dealing with recalcitrant bait and oddly aggressive crabs.

Switched to one of my 80's collections after breakfast as Charlie and Richard continued to work on the porch. I made the bed, then dug the bedding for my American Girl bed out of the plastic bin in the back room. The only bedding I plan on keeping are the lace-trimmed blanket and pillow Mom made for Samantha years ago. Everything else (including the quilt from Kirsten's line) came with the bed and can go with it. I took photos of the bedding...but forgot to photograph the bed itself. Oh well. I'll do that tomorrow.

Next on the agenda was getting the laundry done. I didn't have much, but I figured I might as well get it out of the way. It's just as well that I didn't. They were pretty busy when I arrived, with at least two or three families also trying to get things done. I worked on story notes and tried to ignore a mother fussing at her two young kids (one of whom was watching Calliou on her phone and kept dropping it).

Put everything away when I got home, then made a blueberry-carrot smoothie and peanuts for lunch. Ran more Pink Panther while I ate. He tries to introduce his own drink, "Pink Punch," but the dot in the i keeps turning green and won't cooperate. He has even less luck with a new car that has a mind of it's own and wants to race an old lady in "Pink Pistons." "Vitamin Pink" makes him a huckster in the old west selling a youth-rejuvenating pill. He regrets selling it to a former bank robber, who uses the pills to give him the energy to rob banks. The sheriff insists that Pink is the panther to stop him. "The Pink Blueprint" is similar to "The Pink Phink," only this time, he and the man are competing to see whether they build a normal house or a fantastic modern one.

Took the long way down Newton Lake Park to the Haddon Township Library after lunch. It was an absolutely gorgeous day for a ride. The lake sparkled like jewels, reflecting trees that are still fairly green for this time of year. I dodged many people out for a walk and watched mothers push their children in swings at the playground.

The Haddon Township Library was the busiest I'd seen it in weeks! A lot of people must have taken out movies during the heat wave and storms we had last week. The DVD return carts were overflowing so much, it took me over an hour and a half to get it all shelved. Took out Guys and Dolls to review for my musical film blog, along with Girls Trip and the new version of Tomb Raider from earlier this year.

Made a quick stop at Target on the way home. They had few shorts still out, and none that I could fit into. There was no underwear left in my size, either. I did finally find the backpacks. They actually had a pretty decent selection. Maybe in a week or two, when back-to-school stuff starts going on bigger sales.

Went into writing as soon as I got home, trying to ignore the noise Charlie and Richard made as they finished off the porch for the evening. Did some more re-writing. Leia heads back to hers and Luke's apartment, only for her brother to be called out suddenly by the Los Angeles Daily Star in the middle of the night. Luke often gets assignments at odd hours, so she thinks nothing of it...until she gets her morning newspaper and sees a headline about a female agent named Oola who mysteriously drove off a cliff...

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. The catfish I bought last week came in chunks...which made them perfect for fish tacos. Had that with sauteed zucchini and tomatoes. Since I was low on blueberries, I also added zucchini to a blueberry muffin recipe. Came out pretty well, actually, nice and soft.

Watched Hello Dolly! as I worked, which I go into greater detail about at my musical review blog:

Hello Dolly! at Musical Dreams Reviews

No comments: