Friday, August 17, 2018

Sisters are Doin' It For Themselves

Started off a hazy morning with breakfast and my one and only Aretha Franklin record to honor the passing of the Queen of Soul yesterday. While I do have some of her 60's and 70's hits on various classic rock and R&B collections, the only full album I have for her is Who's Zoomin' Who from 1985. I have fond memories of hearing "Freeway of Love," "Another Night," and "Sisters are Doin' It For Themselves" on the radio when I was a child.

Work was pandemonium all day, by far the busiest it's been since the 4th of July. We were having a huge one-day-only sale. Some over-sized items, like laundry detergent and bags of shrimp, were five dollars or five a pound. I managed to sneak out to do carts when I got in, but that was the only thing I ever got done. I was stuck in the register and panicking the rest of the day. I wasn't the only one, either. We didn't have anything resembling enough help. There had been call-outs, and one of the younger cashiers quit. They kept calling anyone and everyone up to the registers. At least they pulled me out a little early to put some cold items away.

Maybe it's just as well that I didn't need much in the way of groceries. The lines were still long, even as I was walking around the store. I was mainly restocking yogurt, skim milk, breakfast bars, jam (Smuckers' Natural Preserves were on sale - went with orange marmalade), cheese, honey, wraps, and brown sugar. Bought four plain folders for a dollar to use for all of the rent and medical-related papers I have stuffed in my leather case.

My schedule next week is pretty much what I've been getting all summer. I figured my strange hours this week were because the head bagger went on vacation, and I was right. I'm back to work four days, then have Thursday-Friday-Saturday off. Other than I would have liked to have continued with more hours, that's fine by me. I'll be able to call Rose and get a lot done next week.

Went straight home after work. Listened to the soundtrack from The Blues Brothers while I changed and put everything away. Franklin was among the "guest stars" who contributed a number to this rollicking R&B extravaganza. Her rendition of "Think," as a waitress backed by the Brothers, was a highlight of the film.

Worked a little bit on writing for a while. A none-too-happy Leia goes up to Yasmin Hutt and asks her about her collection and the Sword of Wisdom. She says she'd like to catalog it. Yasmin doesn't mind showing off her artifacts, but she's more touchy about showing off her new toy. She keeps a tight hold onto a dazed Harry, who wears a collar like a dog's around his neck.

Broke for dinner at 7. Finished a quiet night with turkey bacon and scrambled eggs with tomato, onions, and gray squash. Watched a Three Stooges short while I ate. Curly hits the road with his brother and best friend in "We Want Our Mummy." They're detectives who have been assigned to find a missing professor, who was kidnapped while searching for a lost pharoah's tomb in Egypt. The pharoah is said to be cursed, but even the Stooges think that's a lot of hokum...until Curly discovers what the animated mummies are really after.

No comments: