Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Musical and Rainy Day Dreams

It was sunny out when I started off the morning with music and breakfast. Listened to my Best of James Bond CD while I ate and got organized. I picked up this double-disc set from Abbie Road a few years ago. The first disc covers all the Bond theme songs up through License to Kill. In addition to obvious favorites like the title songs from Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill, and Goldfinger, "All Time High" from Octopussy, and "Nobody Does It Better" from The Spy Who Loved Me, I rediscovered two underrated gems. The searing title song from Diamonds are Forever is a high spot in that enjoyable but very strange film, while the title number of Moonraker is a lovely ballad that tends to be forgotten amid that film's sci-fi plot.

I only had a few errands to run today, starting with the Oaklyn Library. They were fairly busy for them; a paper on the door said a program was in progress. I had a lot to do. Both the adult and the kids' DVDs were a mess. The librarian has removed the DVDs for sale and is now using those shelves for a DVD "theme." This month, the theme is the 80's. They already had a bunch of titles out and were talking about ordering more. I helped them find The Goonies (which they also mentioned).

Dark clouds had moved in, and it had just started raining as I rode over the finally-finished train bridge and into Audubon. They didn't last long, and wouldn't all day. The sun was out before I made it half-way down Market Street. By the time I was riding up to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center, the sky was blue, and the humidity and heat had returned.

Since I was there, I poked around in Marshalls and Ross Dress for Less for a while. There's only a few things I really need right now. I rather badly need new errand-running sneakers. My EasySpirits are falling apart. While my backpack isn't in quite as bad of shape, I use it fairly often, and it's pretty battered. The drawstring that's supposed to close it came out ages ago, which means I haven't been able to close it in ages, and it really doesn't have enough pockets. I didn't see anything at either store I had to have, but I have a better idea of what I want now. The Shoe Depot had EasySpirits (that's where I got my current pair), but I think I'll wait for better sales a little later in the month.

The main reason I went to Audubon was I left my blue raincoat in the back room at work. Since I was there, I also grabbed the Irwin's spice wafers (it's going to be way too hot to bake this week) and an orange sparkling water. I can understand why my hours were lousy this week. None of the stores I went to were busy, not even Marshalls or Ross. I easily got into the express line at the Acme.

Had a quick green smoothie lunch when I got home. Listened to Copacabana while I finished it and went into writing. Barry Manilow adapted his TV movie based around one of his most famous songs for the stage in the 1990's. My favorite additional material includes a comic number for the owner of the Copa and it's aging cigarette girl, "Who am I Kidding," and a lovely duet for Tony and Lola, "This Can't Be Real."

Worked on writing for a while as a second, heavier thunderstorm came down. Vader reports to his boss that he lost his kids but got the maps. Palpatine insists that the time is right to move along to Guatemala and begin searching for the remaining Sword of Strength. He also insists on teaching Luke and Leia himself, despite Vader's protests...which leads Vader to wonder who's really in charge here...

Went over to Dad and Jodie's between storms around 4:30-quarter of 5. We ordered the tickets for my vacation at Lauren's, which is a month from today...or we tried to at first. Seems NJ Transit will be upgrading equipment for the Atlantic City Rail Line for the rest of the year starting September 5th, and the track will be shut down for the rest of the year, including the Cherry Hill station. I'll just have to get a ride into Philly and leave from there. (I really, really owe them for all of this.) It started raining on my way home; I hung around at their porch briefly to avoid the weather.

Finished the night with a BST (turkey bacon, gray squash, and tomatoes) wrap for dinner and Funny Face...and my newest venture! My review for Funny Face, and all subsequent musicals, can now be found at my blog for musical movie reviews, Musical Dreams. I'm hoping to get affiliates eventually. For now, it's a work in progress.

Musical Dreams Reviews

No comments: