Tuesday, October 16, 2018

All By Myself

Began a sunny morning with breakfast, and then making Cranberry Flummery. This is berry jelly dessert from Felicity's Cooking Studio. It's easy to make and has become a favorite of mine. The original recipe calls for raspberries, but cranberries work even better, especially with the amount of sugar they call for.

Watched The Cat In the Hat Knows a Lot About Halloween as I worked. The Cat takes Nick, Sally, and the Fish on a trip to find the Ooky McKooky Closet so they can come up with ideas for Halloween costumes. The kids learn to deal with their fears when they travel through a dark forest, a noisy thunder storm, and a haunted house. The Cat keeps insisting he's not afraid of anything, despite Fish's continual attempts to scare him. But there is one thing that frightens the Cat, and it can be found in the pumpkin patch...

Headed out to work right after the special ended. Work was even quieter than yesterday. I did the trash and recycling inside and out, returned a few cold items, and gathered baskets, but I was mostly outside. The carts weren't really that bad, either, but they did need to be done. Besides, at that point, it was too nice to be inside. It was sunny and windy, a little cold, but not overwhelmingly so.

As soon as I got home, I changed, loaded up the laundry, and went right back out. Even though I had a very small load, I figured I might as well get it done. I timed it at least somewhat well. The dryers were full when I arrived, but I did get a washer. By the time my clothes were done, there were a couple of dryers available.

Went straight home after I finished, then put everything away and did some writing. Palpatine attacks Yoda and Luke. He manages to get his dark light on Yoda and mostly drain away his energy. Luke cuts off the light, but it's too late to save his mentor. Yoda fades away in his arms. Luke tries to attack Palpatine, but he gets a hold of him before he can get far. The nasty chancellor shoves his Sword of Light into the Weapons pedestal, revealing that he intends to use the weapon to help him make Coruscant the dominate country in the world.

Charlie had been up on the porch all day, putting in more railings. I heard him talk about how cold it's going to get in the next few days. I figured it was time to get the air conditioner out. I'm not really supposed to be asking Charlie or Richard for help anymore, and  I didn't know if Rose or Craig were around. I figured it couldn't be that hard to get out myself.

Of course, the moment I opened the window, it fell out backwards. Not only did it put a small chip on the newly-laid porch, but it leaked rusty water. I managed to clean up the water, but I obviously can't fix the chip. It's not big or really that visible, but Charlie is still understandably livid, and I'm angry at myself, too. I could barely haul it in the back room, and it dripped and made a mess on my carpet.

Tried to cheer myself up with leftovers for dinner while watching more horror-oriented comedy show episodes. "Oh My, Meat Pie" is the second of three Halloween episodes seen during the long run of Good Eats, and the only one to not involve candy. Alton Brown spoofs the then-newly-released film version of Sweeney Todd by playing his great-great grandfather, who teaches the maker of the "worst pies in London" how to create the perfect Shepard's and mincemeat pies.

Switched to Jack of All Trades while baking Honey Muffins. They get a little spookier in "Dead Woman Walking." When Jack's alter ego the Daring Dragoon is accused of desecrating cemeteries, Jack and Emilia go undercover to find the real culprit. After their night in a cemetery fails to come up with the criminal, Emilia insists on taking a potion that'll make her appear to be dead. What she didn't count on was Governor Croque really thinking she was dead and almost cremating her and Jack!

Finished the night with The Kissing Bandit. I go into more detail on this lesser-known Frank Sinatra vehicle from the 1940's at my Musical Dreams Reviews blog.

The Kissing Bandit

No comments: