Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Cat Creatures, Fish Mutants, and Mixed-Up Zombies, Oh My!

Began a cloudy morning with breakfast and more Bowery Boys. Spook Chasers was their last horror-themed movie, and the only one done during Stanley Clements' tenure as Duke Coveletske in the late 50's. Mike (Percy Helton) has bought a house in the country to help his nerves. To the frustration of him and the Boys, it turns out to be a lemon. They start repairing it...and when Sach accidentally runs into a picture, he discovers money hidden behind it. Turns out the money belonged to a gangster who hid it all around his house. The real estate company that unloaded the property to them catch on when they pay for it in full, and the gangster's men come to collect. Seems there's a story about the gangster's ghost wandering around the house. Now the guys are seeing spooks wandering out of doors and in from secret passages. While Blinky (Eddie LeRoy) and Sach try to figure out what's going on, Mike just wishes he could get his peace and quiet.

Headed out early, as soon as the movie ended. I had a few errands to run before work. First stop was the post office around the corner from America's Best. I had to finally send off Lauren's birthday package. There was no line, the guy behind the counter was really nice, and I was in and out.

Since I had a little extra time and it was a couple of doors down, I went to Goodwill next. Wanted to check out their DVDs to see if they had any horror musicals. I did see some musicals I may go back for when I have money, but nothing horror-oriented. I did find a lovely crocheted dress hanging on a rack near the front of the store. It's a delicate white eggshell with a heavy white underskirt that'll be perfect for my fairy costume. I'll wear a white shirt under it. Just need to find the right shoes.

Hurried off to work after I left Goodwill. The rush wasn't necessary. We were pin-drop quiet the entire afternoon. The clouds had cleared even as I was watching the Bowery Boys, leaving a gorgeous, blustery fall day. It was much too nice for shopping. I did have to watch a 15-minute video on diversity and take a short quiz (which I aced), and I briefly got stuck in the registers when one cashier had to help a customer. Otherwise, I mainly did the carts and baskets, rounded up recycling and the inside trash, and helped a nice woman in an electric cart to her car.

Went to Wal Mart after work. They have a pretty decent movie selection, more than Target, and I was hoping they'd have horror musicals. No luck. I did see glitter makeup there that I may go back for on Friday after I get paid, though.

Changed as soon as I got home, then worked on writing. Vader shoves his boss into the molten metal before dying in his son's arms and falling in himself. Luke and Leia have no time to mourn their father. The weapon is destroying the temple, and it's falling to pieces! Larry picks them up in the Silver Falcon, just as the temple collapses all together.

Put on Scooby Doo on Zombie Island as I heated up leftover Italian chicken legs and made Chinese beans and mushrooms sauteed in lemon-white wine sauce for dinner. Mystery Inc is back on the road, this time filming segments for Daphne's show spotlighting ghost sightings in the US. Daphne is determined to find a real ghost, not a person in a mask, for her program. A woman named Lena in New Orleans says the plantation on Moonscar Island where she works is very haunted. The gang take a ferry over to investigate. While Scooby chases the cats owned by Lena's employer Simone and Shaggy eats his weight in Moonscar Island's notoriously hot peppers, the others discover that the zombie ghost of Moonscar the Pirate may still haunt the island. He's not the only one. There's some seriously scary voodoo going on way down in Moonscar...and this time, there's no masks involved.

This is the movie that revived the Scooby Doo franchise after it was dormant for most of the 90's, and it's still one of the most unique entries in the franchise. Not only are the ghosts and zombies actual supernatural phenomenon, but they and Lena and Simone have a tragic backstory that isn't played for laughs. The genuine scares and well-written story make this one of Scooby's best outings, and by far one of the best direct-to-home-media movies.

Finished the night with some even stranger creature features. I finally opted to review two semi-musical B-movies that were featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000 in the 90's, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies and The Horror of Party Beach. I go into more details on both at my Musical Dreams Reviews blog.

The Incredibly Strange Creatures... and The Horror of Party Beach

No comments: