Saturday, October 13, 2018

Pumpkins and Mermaids

I opened my eyes at around 8...and saw that it was pouring. Closed them again and didn't get up until an hour later. I was originally going to head out to check out the Collingswood Farm Market and yard sales early, but there was no way I was doing that in a heavy shower.

It was past 10 when I finally got moving and the rain ended. Ran a spooky episode of Tiny Toon Adventures as I ate breakfast. It's a "Hare-Raising Night" when Buster is called on to rescue animals being experimented on by a mad scientist. He tricks Hamton, Babs, and Plucky into joining him by telling him they're going to the Emmys. Plucky continues to fall for the ruse, even after it becomes apparent that the mad scientist is after what little brains he has. Babs is less amused when the scientist's monster creation falls for her.

Headed out even before the episode ended. The rain had stopped, and despite the clouds and chilly wind, I really wanted to get to the Collingswood Farm Market. I wasn't the only one. While not packed, they were still pretty busy. I saw the tail-end of an apple pie-baking contest (including the winning entry) as I walked around.

The Farm Market is on it's last month. Several booths were gone, and the one with the Chinese beans and heirloom tomatoes said he had nothing more to pick and that this would be his final week for the season. Peaches and zucchini are gone, but I did see the first fresh cranberries and cauliflower of the fall season. Picked up the cranberries, Chinese beans, a tomato, a head of organic red lettuce, small apples, and my annual pumpkin for my living area table.

I always use a pumpkin for a centerpiece from early October until after Thanksgiving or it goes bad, whichever comes first. I never carve my pumpkin. I'm afraid I'd end up carving me more than the pumpkin. Besides, I like having it for multiple fall holidays.

Took the long way home across Newton Lake Park. The weather was not pleasant. It was even colder than yesterday, barely in the 60's, and blustery and humid. Surprisingly, there were a lot of people out for walks or bike rides, despite the dismal day. I dodged a lot of folks as I headed across the White Horse Pike to Oaklyn. Made a quick stop at CVS, but what I wanted there was too expensive. Also stopped by Dad and Jodie's to say "hi," but they weren't around.

Went right back out after I put everything away and finished the Tiny Toons. It wasn't even noon, too early to call it a day. My first stop was the Oaklyn Library again. I wanted to return Jurassic World and Infinity War and check out their fall book sale. The librarians were busy painting shirts in preparation for Oaklyn's 5K Color Run tomorrow. I didn't see anything I liked scattered among the boxes and moved on.

Next stop was The House of Fun two blocks down from the library. I looked at DVDs to review for myself, but I was mainly there to go birthday shopping for Lauren. Her birthday is October 19th. I bought her a new-in-the-package wrestling figure. (Not a vintage one - they were expensive, and I don't know what she has - but a newer wrestler that she did ask for.)

It was still so cold and gloomy at that point, I just went straight home. I figured the weather was perfect for two classic Disney Halloween specials my family taped in the 80's while I made an Apple-Cranberry Smoothie for lunch and found a box to send Lauren's gift. Halloween Hall of Fame features Jonathan Winters as a security guard who runs across a talking jack o'lantern (also Winters) hiding in Disney's prop department on Halloween night. Jack claims there's nothing scary about Halloween anymore. Winters directs him to the shorts "Trick or Treat" and "Pluto's Judgement Day" and the featurette The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to prove otherwise.

Spent the rest of the afternoon writing. Luke manages to uncover the bridge to the "weapon" that Vader and Palpatine are after. Thing is, he can't see it. Yoda says it can only be seen with the Force. Luke's not sure he believes, but he's ready to try anything at this point. But they're being followed...

Broke for dinner at quarter of 6. Finished Scary Tales Halloween as I made leftover baked chicken and roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes. This is just a collection of bits and pieces from Disney movies and shorts that either feature scary moments and villains, but we do get "Donald and the Gorilla" and "Lonesome Ghosts" in full (not to mention the "Night at Bald Mountain" segment from Fantasia).

Finished out the night with The Little Mermaid and its direct-to-home-media sequel The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, both of which I cover at my Musical Dreams Reviews blog.

The Little Mermaid and The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea

No comments: