Sunday, October 07, 2018

The Clouds Will Soon Roll By

It was still cloudy and humid when I began my Brown Sugar n' Spice Pancakes for breakfast. Listened to It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman while I ate to cheer up the dreary morning. Debuting in 1966, this musical Superman tale tells of a mad scientist who teams up with a jealous and obnoxious gossip columnist and Chinese acrobats to bring down the Man of Steel. While "You've Got Possibilities" is the sole standard from this show, I'm also fond of "We Don't Matter at All" for Lois and the amorous co-worker she's fending off and "You're the Woman for the Man" for Lois and the columnist (Jack Cassidy).

It wasn't a hit in 1966, but numerous attempts have been made to resurrect it, especially after "Possibilities" turned up in a Pillsbury commercial. There's apparently a TV version with Leslie Ann Warren as Lois from the 1970's, and the concert series Encores! did an (unrecorded, alas) version in 2013.

Rushed out to work as soon as I finished eating. We were busy for most of the day, well before the Eagles game began at 4:30. I spent the majority of the 8 and 1/2 hours I worked outside, gathering carts. We were just that busy. I often had a least two or three other people out there with me. I also rounded up baskets, bagged, did the outside trash and recycling (we finally have bags), and taught a new bagger how to do the inside trash. (She caught on pretty fast - she did really well with putting the bags in the trash containers.)

Saw two football games during my later breaks in the back room. The Jaguars were losing 20 to 0 against the Kansas City Chiefs when I was watching. They did get some points on the board, but not enough to win. The Chiefs still killed them, 31 to 14. The Giants did better, just barely losing to the on-fire Carolina Panthers 33-31.

The Eagles game had already started by the time I was finished. Jodie invited me over to watch the game and eat tacos when I saw her as she was entering the Acme. I considered it, but ultimately just went home. I was beyond tired, and my knees were killing me. I wasn't in the mood for company. I had leftover lentil stew and pan-fried potatoes while listening to the game on the radio.

The Eagles didn't play very well in the first half...again. They were down 17-3 when I went home (another reason I opted not to go over to Dad and Jodie's). They caught up in a big way in the second half, but the Minnesota Vikings got one last field goal that won them the game, 23-21.

(At least the weather got better. It was cloudy up through around mid-afternoon. By 6, the clouds were gone and the sky was blue. It was still humid and a bit hot for this time of year, though. I put the air conditioner on when I got home.)

No comments: