Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Hiking to Haddonfield

Began a sunny morning with breakfast, then with making honey corn meal muffins. While they baked very well, the additions of honey and sugar made them much too sweet. If I use this recipe again, I'll use either sugar or honey, or reduce the sugar.

Watched the first half of the next episode of Buck Rogers while I worked. Buck and Wilma find themselves stranded on a hostile world filled with strange "genetic rejects" after they crash-land there while taking an ambassador to peace talks on a "Journey to Oasis." They have to battle the strange caveman-like mutants who live on the planet and follow the riddles of an odd blue-skinned alien in order to make it to the city. Meanwhile, the ambassador is an old flame of Wilma's...and Buck is worried that she may be considering returning to him.

Finally headed out around 11:30. My first stop was the Oaklyn Library. I did organize some DVDs, but I mainly talked to the librarian. I feel like everything's been going wrong lately. Ironically, work is about the only thing that has gone right. I've tried, but everything I do seems to terrify me into stopping. I can't find an apartment. I'm nervous about pushing my blog and promoting my work. The librarians were very sweet to me and said I was trying my best.

I thought about walking to Collingswood and taking the train, but I didn't want to spend the money. I ended up hiking an hour and a half to Haddonfield. At least it was a beautiful day for it. It was sunny and windy, but not to cold, in the upper 30's-lower 40's. The traffic wasn't bad around noon as I made my way down Cuthbert, and then down Haddon.

And of course, when I got there, I discovered that the bike shop in Haddonfield had been replaced by yet another clothing boutique. The next-closest bike shop is in Cherry Hill! I barely had enough time to grab a chicken burrito and Simply Delicious (carrot/apple/orange/lemon) juice before rushing off to counseling. (And of course, I discovered that the bag I was carrying the bike seat in had split and I lost parts. Thank goodness I was able to go back later and find it, and the other missing part was still in my bike basket.)

I tried to explain how frustrating it's been for me lately to Mrs. Stahl when I got there, but I don't know how well I articulated it. She says there's no writing jobs out there for my interests, which are mainly related to history and media...but I have absolutely no choice in the matter whatsoever. I need to make money, and I can't always count on the Acme to give me extra hours. Plus, I'm trying to ween myself away from retail, not throw myself even harder into something that makes me crazy.

I just don't feel very smart. Every time I try to look up jobs, I get nervous. I don't know what's wrong with me, and neither does anyone else. I just want that fear to go away, so I can sell my writing, but I'm not sure how to make it go away. I don't really have any other skills besides writing, reading, editing, and organizing. I've even been afraid to call Rose, because I really don't want to hear a lecture from her about my finances and how bad they are again.

Mrs. Stahl wants me to look up actual, real companies that can use my writing skills - or at least blogs. All I want is an online side job to make extra money so I can actually rent a decent apartment. While I appreciate that Charlie is finally trying to do some things up here, I don't really feel comfortable in my current apartment anymore. Trouble is, I've already called two apartments, and both turned me down because I don't make enough money.

I finally decided after I left that I could not deal with another hour and a half walk, no matter how nice the weather was. I stopped at CVS to get a pineapple coconut sparkling water and money, and then took the train back to Collingswood. I took the back way across Newton Lake Park and past CVS into Oaklyn.

Needed to talk to Dad and Jodie rather badly. First of all, I wanted to see how Dad was doing. He seems to be eating a little bit better, but is still not great. I tried to get a ride to work tomorrow, but neither Jodie nor Dad are great at riding in snow (plus they don't get up early anymore). I did get the number of Jodie's regular doctor. Rose has been after me to get a regular doctor, but I keep forgetting. I just don't get sick that often. Second, Jodie recommended the name of a temp agency in Cherry Hill, JJ Staffing, to find better work.

I looked the up after a quick banana smoothie dinner. The trouble there is, first of all, I need help with my resume. Second is...they mostly seem to hire for medical transcribing, or accounting. I'm worried that no one will want me as a secretary or a clerk because I don't know anything about medical stuff or math, or anything of the things secretaries are supposed to do.

Worked on writing for a little bit after that. Boba of Gisbourne distracted Han by nudging him, making his shot go wild. He gets a second shot that directs the first to the target. The crowd goes wild, and even the nobles are impressed. Han's amazing shooting gave himself away. Palpatine reveals who he is to a shocked crowd and an angry Leia. He forced Lando to lure Han and the others into a trap.

Played a little Angry Birds Star Wars to calm down after I got off the computer. Finally finished the bonus round with the egg-shaped C-3PO, then returned to Hoth. Thins picked up considerably here. A lot of rounds involved Leia having to pull just the right AT-AT leg to bring the whole thing crashing down, or Han having to shoot in just the right spot to send piggies into the snow. It was pretty complicated, and it took a little while.

Finished the night with the first of three weeks worth of Oscar-winning Best Picture musicals I'll be reviewing. I go into further details on the granddaddy of them all, The Broadway Melody, at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

The Broadway Melody

2 comments:

Just Jenny said...

Emma- have you thought about working in a nursery school or day care? You always seem to get along so well with the kids in your life...I know you have a degree already... it could be a steady job 5 days a week.... you could still write as well...

Emma said...

Funny, a close friend of mine who is a substitute teacher in Vineland also mentioned this. I don't have the teaching degree she has...but it still might be something worth looking into. I know of at least two day cares down the street from me, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were others. There's tons of families around here. :)