Saturday, February 09, 2019

Intergalactic Adventures

Began a sunny, windy morning with the last of the three hour-long Backyardigans specials done during the show's run. Austin and his robot Roscoe are robot repair men in futuristic Mega City. Robots never break...until Tasha, Tyrone, and Uniqua report that their robots have gone crazy! The kids and Roscoe have to stop the evil Professor Bug (Pablo) from igniting a "Robot Rampage" and taking over all the robots in the city!

First thing on the agenda for the day was the laundry. I picked just the right time. It was empty when I arrived. Less than twenty minutes later, the place was full. Thanks to the lighter clothes I've worn for most of the week due to the warm temperatures, I didn't really have a huge or heavy load to wash anyway. I worked on story notes and ignored whatever was on the TV.

Went home to put everything away, then went right back out to run a few more errands in Oaklyn. It was so windy, I left the bike at home and went on foot. The recent warm snap has given most folks a chance to change their outside decor. Almost everyone's finally gotten their Christmas decorations down. A few homes have Valentine's decorations or winter-themed wreaths or banners outside, but most settle for bare, sodden lawns. (At least the grass is a little greener and not quite as crunchy as it usually is at this time of the year.)

My first stop was the Common Grounds Coffee House around the corner for lunch. Despite it being about 1:30, it was pretty quiet. The only other person besides me, the barista, and a girl having a chat with him was an older man sitting at a table. I enjoyed my hot chocolate and slightly greasy piece of spinach and sun-dried tomato quiche at a table near the window, watching leaves blow by.

After lunch, I strolled up the road to the House of Fun. I considered buying an older Obi-Wan doll...but to tell the truth, I'm trying to get rid of junk right now, not add more. I'd rather save what little money I have to spare for movies to review on my blog. I've promised myself that I wouldn't get too caught up in toy collecting again, especially after my last two collections (Ever After High and Webkinz) came and went within the space of two to three years and cost me a bundle.

My next trips were quicker. Dollar General was pretty busy when I arrived. Picked up powdered sugar and condensed milk to make candy for Valentine's Day next week, along with plastic sandwich bags. CVS was much quieter. I realized that I forgot toilet paper at Dollar General; got it there, along with their generic dish washing liquid (no sale this time, I'm afraid).

Since Dad and Jodie only live a few streets down from there, I went to their house next. They were once again sitting in front of the TV, watching shows and working on their laptops. Not much to report here. Dad still isn't feeling well (and I'm getting worried about him). Rose hasn't called me because her son Khai had a really bad bout of the flu; he was out of school for almost the whole week. And they still can't help me. They don't know anyone who has an apartment or a job, and Jodie said she turned her paperwork for that darn doctor over to Rose.

Went right into dressing the 18-inch dolls for Valentine's Day when I got home. I put Ariel back into the white and gold knitted Sweet Spring Dress. I liked her in it, just not for Christmas. Samantha wears her dusky pink Talent Show Dress (which is so authentic, it was based after a real Edwardian girl's outfit in a museum). Although it's a bit late, I still have Jessa in Ivy's Chinese New Year's Dress. It's red and formal. Josefina wears a pretty pink and red flowered Regency dress with a lace wrap I bought from eBay a while back. Whitney's also in an eBay find, a poodle skirt made from a thick pink felt and white blouse, with a pink knitted sweater with pearl trim from a yard sale. Molly's in her plaid School Outfit jumper and blouse. Felicity also wears her school outfit, her Laced Jacket and Petticoat, with a cream-colored wrap Mom knitted around her shoulders.

I tried to look up jobs after I finished with the dolls. A little research finally revealed part of my problem. Upwork wasn't a bad idea, but their scope is too broad. I'm not interested in writing for medical or legal journals. I want to write for blogs on film history or movies or that review films or home media. I need to look up blogs for that niche I could write for and try to figure out how to overcome my nerves to advertise my own blogs.

Worked on writing for a while after I finished. Sir Boba of Gisbourne comes in, claiming that he's been sent by his master Baron Du Hutt to bring Han to him. Han shoots him; he dodges, but the Sheriff's man Ozzel isn't as lucky. He gets hit in the shoulder, just as the group escapes.

Broke for dinner at 7. Watched the first regular episode of Buck Rogers while making pan-fried Parmesan-crusted tilapia and steamed broccoli with cheese for dinner. There were a lot of big names in "Planet of the Slave Girls." Buck and Wilma are concerned when their pilots start coming down with food poisoning. The contaminated food turns out to have come from the planet Vistula, where Governor Toban (Roddy McDowell) holds court. The real leader on planet is Kaeel (Jack Palance), who has powers that can turn people into his willing slaves. Rima, one of the slaves, goes to Buck and Wilma for help, but she's captured before she can reveal Kaeel's true plans. The duo and Wilma's ex-boyfriend (David Groh) have to figure out where the poison is coming from and what Kaeel intends to do to the Earth.

(And I will add that the theme song sounds much better and more majestic without the lyrics.)

Finished the night with the 1982 version of Annie in honor of the late Albert Finney, who died yesterday. I go into more detail at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Annie (1982)

No comments: