Thursday, January 28, 2021

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Thankfully, the rain was long gone by the time I rolled out of bed this morning. Ate breakfast while watching To Tell the Truth. Came in just as they were trying to figure out which of three older men were Clarence "Ducky" Nash, the voice of Donald Duck from the character's creation in 1934 until his death in 1985. I'm actually glad I got in just the panel voted. I'm a huge Donald fan; I knew Mr. Nash right away. I had a harder time deciding between three men who claimed to have written a book of household hints. I chose big, burly number 2. Almost everyone else went with three, and he did turn out to be the writer and handyman. 

The panel didn't have as much luck on What's My Line? No one came close to figuring out a Philly woman created a kit designed to add decorative embroidery and patches to jean outfits. Two models showed off her creations; while most of them were very much of their era, some were pretty darn cute. They did figure out the man ran a bowling alley in the White House; evidently, Nixon was a bowling fan. (Research reveals that, as of a decade ago, the bowling lane was still there.) Also caught a "Who's Who" game; none of the panelists got any of the four male audience members' occupations right.

Headed off to work even before the show ended. Work was dead the entire day, especially in the morning. It was so quiet this morning, I spent 40 minutes hanging gift cards. I also swept the store and gathered trash and recycling. Spent the afternoon outside. It was sunny, but cold, with freezing gale-force winds that blew carts everywhere. It was still better than being inside and getting 600 different orders. 

Took Uber home as soon as I finished. When I got in, I put on the tail end of Press My Luck while having a snack. The champ just kept pushing and pushing...until he finally hit a Whammy on his last passed turn. The only woman picked up dishware and a trip to Las Vegas, among other prizes.

Looked up more bikes next. Rose suggested Dick's Sporting Goods; there's a large store at the Garden State Plaza in Cherry Hill. Their website only showed one single-speed cruiser, and the closest store that had it was Moorestown, a half-hour away. I'd have to order it and send it to Cherry Hill.

Worked on writing after that. Brett manages to get the keys off Goodson. While she and Tom release Jack and his crew, Gene tries to get Goodson to reveal where Charles is. He won't tell...but a certain member of his crew will...

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Anson Williams of Happy Days joined Gene, the regulars, Fannie Flagg, and ever-laughing Kaye Stevens to answer "Martha __" and discussed how romantic Cleopatra and Caesar got on Match Game '74. We also got a rare glimpse of Ira Skutch, the show's producer and offscreen judge, when Gene caught him on camera. We were introduced in Match Game PM to an adorable little man who called himself "Tiger." Even the young woman contestant next to him joked about them being engaged. 

Jodie poked her head in during Match Game '74. She deliberately left the water running in the sinks to keep the pipes from freezing. She and Dad had that problem before in this house. I also found out David, my cousin Samantha's husband, visited a few days ago to pick up speakers he and Dad built together, and she gave him the bin of family photos. On one hand, a lot of those photos and all of the memorabilia and scrap books belonged to Uncle Ken and I intended to ask Samantha about them anyway. On the other hand, I wish she'd asked me first. Rose and Jessa didn't get to see the photos, and there's pictures of Dad in there, too. Hopefully, Samantha will be willing to share with the other two.

(Oh, and I convinced her to let me do the laundry at her place tomorrow. It's going to be too cold to be hiking to the laundromat.)

Moved on to making Lemon Drop Sugar Cookies from The Betty Crocker Cooky Book by the time Sale of the Century was on. Another nail-biter of a game today. The champ bought both Instant Bargains (including a Vegas trip) and the Instant Cash, but the other guy started catching up towards the end. The champ killed at the Speed Round...but he's still having trouble with the Bonus Round...

Finished the night online after a shower with The Great Gabbo. I go further into this 1929 musical drama featuring Erich Von Stronheim, a dummy, and a platoon of peculiar dance routines at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: