Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Rainy Daze

It still wasn't raining when I rolled out of bed this morning. Caught the tail end of Body Language as I had oatmeal and an orange for breakfast. Big Roger E. Mosley was acting out the bonus round as I joined in. Alas, his contestant only got one word out of three right. The contestants did better on Blockbusters. A father and daughter-in-law became the new champs; she easily breezed through the Gold Run round with only one question missed. 

Put up the Valentine's Day decorations next. The cardboard banner went over the large windows in the living room; the Mylar garlands hang over the bay window in my bedroom and on the ledge. Valentina the Love Penguin and Amoura the Love Frog join most of the winter stuffed animals on one of the book shelves in the hall. The frilly heart-shaped candy box I thought was too pretty to throw away perches on top of another. Taped Mylar-covered hearts to the windows and hung cardboard hearts from the doors on the shelves in the living room

Watched specials related to winter sports while I worked. She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown has Peppermint Patty training for her local figure skating competition with Snoopy as her demanding coach. The Pink Panther is a skiing star in the Winter Olym-pinks, but his fellow skiing team member doesn't like all the attention he receives and does everything he can to sabotage his performances. 

It finally started to rain somewhere around this point...a light, misty sort of rain that was neither cold, nor icy. Fine rain would continue in some form for the rest of the day. To my knowledge, we never got snow, or even freezing rain. 

Moved on to Match Game '76 as I made Orange Old School Muffins (Alton Brown's Old School Muffins recipe with mandarin oranges and orange peel). Made a quick raspberry-banana smoothie lunch while watching Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. "Super Daniel!" and his Grandpere help two imaginary animals get a snack and escape the forest as they bring Dan Sr. his lunch. Teacher Harriet shows the kids how to "Play Pretend" by giving them a cardboard box that can be anything. O the Owl refuses to see it as anything but a box...until even his imagination gets moving.

Went online to do research on bikes. I still don't know what I want, besides a single-speed cruiser like the one I had. They all look alike to me. Called Mom, who has an Electra that she loves. We ended up discussing not only the bike, but all the problems I've had with pretty much everyone here. Don't get me wrong, I love Rose and Jessa and appreciate everything Jodie does and Dad did for me, but I've felt caught in the middle of a lot of their drama lately. There's also that bin of photos. I need to find it and see what my sisters and Samantha want from it. I put it in the den on Jodie's side of the house because there's no room in my place for it, and now it's gone. 

We chatted for so long, Press Your Luck was on by the time we finished. The two women far outstripped the one man in the second half...until they started to hit Whammies. He picked up a Seattle vacation and became the new champ.

Worked on writing for a while after that. Richard shoves Gene and Tom Kennedy at Goodson as the rest of Tom's crew pose as sailors. Gene's livid, until he sees a wink from Richard and realizes that all isn't what it appears to be...and that Richard isn't as much of a traitor as he thought.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. It was total bedlam on Match Game '74 tonight in one of my favorite episodes from that year. McLean Stevenson first kissed everyone but the contestant (including Gene and Richard), then chased Gene around the studio after the contestant won the Head-to-Head round a second time. Match Game PM got pretty goofy too as westerner Guich Kooch passed around his cowboy hat (it ended up with Gene) and everyone answered a question about the symptoms of "the Betty White Flu." 

Enjoyed steamed broccoli and leftover One-Pot Pasta as Sale of the Century began. It was all about the guys tonight. The champ bought one Instant Bargain and the other male contestant picked up the other and the Instant Cash. They were evenly matched at the Speed Round, to the point where it came down to a tie breaker question. The champ won, but he didn't do nearly as well with the Bonus Round this time.

Finished the night with Broadway Babies. I go further into this early talkie gangster melodrama at my featuring flapper Alice White at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

No comments: