Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Laughter In the Rain

Started off the morning with breakfast and Swing Parade of 1946. I go further into this cute low-budget backstage musical featuring singer Gale Storm and The Three Stooges at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on writing briefly during the movie. Cora asks Madame Fran the dressmaker why she thinks Stephen is such a catch. Yes, he's handsome, but what else? What else is there? asks the lady. Cora's wondering whether her fiancee really is more than just a pretty face when she sees his hunckbacked manservant coming kindly over to her with a flower...

The movie ended just in time for me to make it to work. Work was off-and-on steady for most of the afternoon. I actually thought it would be a lot worse. I started off the day by cleaning up a huge cranberry juice spill. I still have no idea how one of Walmart's electric carts ended up on the side of the Acme building. I had to drive that to the Walmart on the other side of the shopping center.

As I walked back to the Acme around quarter of 1, I felt little drops on my nose. Those little drops got bigger and fatter as I rounded the corner to the entrance. It would rain in some form or another for the rest of the day. At least it didn't rain that hard while I was at work. Strong wind was more of a problem than rain. Spent most of the afternoon sweeping the store and trying to keep carts from blowing away, though I did have to get the full outside trash at one point.

Oh, and I texted my sister Rose during break to ask her what her family is doing for Thanksgiving. Alas, it would seem they're visiting family in New Hampshire for the weekend. Research later revealed that The Empire Diner in Brooklawn is open on the holiday again. I'll just do what I did last year and have a big lunch there, then come home and watch TV and work on writing. 

Went straight home after work. Despite the continuing rain, I decided I wasn't in the mood for leftovers. I grabbed an umbrella and strolled a block down to Crown Chicken and Gyro. At least they were nice and warm when I arrived. Not to mention quiet. I saw one other person waiting for their order as I waited for my cheesesteak, fries, and Diet Dr. Pepper. 

Ate dinner at home while watching Match Game Syndicated. I arrived literally just in time to see Bart Braverman briefly take over asking questions for Gene when the latter wanted to answer them. Frankly, Bart sounded more like a race track tout than a game show host! In the second episode, Gene mentions Charles directed an opera featuring star Diano Sorvino (who would become the only opera singer to appear on the show a year later). Oh, and it looks like an episode was skipped here. Apparently, GSN never showed this one either, so it would appear to be permanently lost for the moment.

Finished the night with Thanksgiving sitcom episodes. Probably the most famous Thanksgiving-themed sitcom show is "Turkeys Away!" from early in the first season of WKRP In Cincinnati. Feeling out of place at the station, manager Arthur Carlson comes up with a big secret promotion he won't tell anyone else about. When Arthur's big promotion that involves dropping turkeys out of a helicopter proves to be, well, a turkey, he and the others have to deal with the fall-out. (And amazingly enough, this would seem to be based on an actual radio promotion in Cincinnati, though apparently the turkeys were tossed off a truck there.)

Barney Miller has an only slightly less eventful "Thanksgiving Show" in the fourth season.  He and his men at the precinct have to deal with a band of mental patients who escaped from their institution and end up loose in an automat. They have only slightly less trouble with a guy who stabbed his mooching brother-in-law with a fork during Thanksgiving dinner.

The 4077th at MASH also has a wild Thanksgiving in the eight season episode "The Yalu Brick Road." G.W Bailey probably wishes he was back dealing with goofy cops when Klinger's bad turkeys leave the base with a raging case of samonella poisoning. Hawkeye and Hunnicut get lost in enemy territory while picking up the antidote and end up bringing along a North Korean soldier who alternates between trying to take the prisoner and insisting on being their prisoner. Meanwhile, Father Mulcahey tries to keep Hot Lips and Winchester from killing each other as they all take care of the stricken soldiers in the camp.

Balki and Larry have their own trouble with "Wild Turkey" in the seventh season of Perfect Strangers. Larry buys a flock of turkeys, hoping to pawn them off on last-minute shoppers. When one of the turkeys may have swallowed Jennifer's diamond ring, he and Balki end up invading the home of the people who purchased it during Thanksgiving dinner to get it back. 

No comments: