Saturday, November 25, 2023

Falling Into Parades

Began the morning with breakfast and Charlie & Lola. "I Really, Really Need Actual Ice Skates" Lola begs when she sees a friend skating at the local rink. She was supposed to be saving the money her grandparents gave her for a scooter. Turns out skating is a lot harder than it looks...but her guy buddy is having an equally difficult time with his scooter...

Hurried out after that. The Collingswood Christmas Parade starts at 10 AM. It's the big holiday parade in Camden County. They were already packed two and three deep when I finally arrived. I tried to buy a hot chocolate, but they were out at WaWa, and the line at Grooveground Coffee Shop almost went out the door. I ignored the biting cold day and bought three pretzels from the members of Collingswood High's wrestling team instead.

I finally found a space to settle about a block from the corner of Haddon and Collings Avenues, in front of Exit 4 Escape Rooms and across from Marlene's Dress Shop. There weren't as many floats as usual, but some of them got really creative. Oaklyn and Collingswood's preschool had a penguin theme, with kids and adults carrying stuffed or wooden penguins and two people waddling around in penguin costumes. There were two Frozen floats. The Oaklyn Elementary School's version had Olaf enjoying his warm hugs in a tropical getaway of colorful neon crepe paper and paper palm trees.  One of the two karate troops definitely won for most creative float. They were "Santa's Secret Service," with elf ears and red and green karate belts. There were at least four groups of classic cars. The Grinch drove one snazzy sports car; a stuffed Minnie Mouse perched on a reindeer on the roof of another. Collingswood Bike Share rode decorated bikes, while the children of the Zane North Elementary School pushed scooters. 

I counted at least five dance troupes, including Ovations from Oaklyn. Three bands of Mummers strutted their stuff. One had a pirate theme; the others were just bright colors, spangles, and feathers. Camden High School's band really got into their routine. Their high strutting dancers and musicians moved to the music with a dance as vibrant as their purple and gold uniforms. Collingswood High School's flag brigade swung and tossed and caught gossamer translucent flags that more closely resembled fairies' wings. Two stilt walkers, a toy solder and an elf, delighted the kids with their juggling and high-fives. I saw people dressed as Frosty and Crystal, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Sam I Am from Green Eggs and Ham, the Grinch, and another penguin who clearly didn't want to be there.

Collingswood is always a mess after the parade. I rushed back to my bike to hightail it out of there. Even that proved to be difficult. I had to dodge not only cars, but locals walking to their own homes. At least it was a gorgeous day for it. Sunny and breezy, but cold and crisp, not even in the 40's at quarter of noon.

Stopped at Koupa Espresso Bar on Haddon Avenue in Westmont to finally get a warm drink. They're an ultra-modern coffee shop a few doors down from Phidelity Records. I originally wanted a Gingerbread Chai Latte, but they were out of the syrup. Finally settled at the bar by the window with a Maple Chai Latte. Very sweet and VERY spicy, but quite warming on such a cold day.

Phidelity Records was open when I finished my drinks. Didn't pick up a lot, but I did find a Christmas present for Amanda and a few things for me: 

Original Broadway cast album for the 1969 musical vehicle for Katherine Hepburn Coco

K-Tel albums Music Machine and 2 Power Hits Vol. 2

Christmas Jazz - Collection of holiday jazz that includes Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra (This one was a dollar CD.)

Went across the street to Samaritan Thrift after that. I'm not normally a fan of turtlenecks, but I found a really cute red one with a pretty Christmassy-print. Also picked up a cute gift for Amanda. As it turned out, I couldn't afford anything else. They only took cash, and I gave most of my money to the wrestling team.

I was riding along Cuthbert in front of the Acme when I turned...and almost ran into one of the telephone wires next to the phone pole. I missed it, but the bike and I went crashing to the ground. The bike was fine, but I was not. My right big toe hurt like heck, even in my heavy Bearclaw boot. My wrist was sore, and my right knee was a bloody mess. And I had a hole in my brand-new corduroys! I was furious with myself. Some people walking down the street did help me up, but I was able to walk well enough to go on my way. Good thing the hills are so steep on that part of Cuthbert, I'd be walking and pushing the bike up hills anyhow.

Did manage to make it to Cuthbert to do the shopping I'd planned on. Picked up coconut milk and breakfast sandwich cookies at Sprouts. I also found jars of apple cider spread and pumpkin spice spread on clearance for 99 cents that looked intriguing. Cleaned up my knee here, too. Good thing I always carry Band-Aids in my purse. I had debated skipping Target, but my accident made stopping there necessary. I picked up a wrist wrap and cold compresses along with my favorite cinnamon sugar cashews. Grabbed a Diet Pepsi while waiting in a long line.

Thank heavens, my knee held out long enough to get me home on the bike. Needless to say, I went straight upstairs after that. Watched Berry Merry Christmas from the 2003 version of Strawberry Shortcake as I got organized and rested. Strawberry wants to find the perfect presents for all her friends. Honey Pie Pony suggests that they go to Holiday Land, where Santa Claus lives, to find them. Strawberry travels far and wide to find just the right present. Honey Pie keeps pushing saddles, but Strawberry reminds her that she's not shopping for her. When she thinks her presents are ruined, the others tell her they're just happy she's home, but there is a nice surprise waiting at the end!

Switched to Muppet Treasure Island after the cartoon ended. I go further into the Muppet retelling of the classic Robert Lewis Stevenson pirate novel at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Managed to get into my bedroom to do some writing after that. Cora tells the gentle hunchback she wishes he wouldn't let Stephen bully him so much. When she's running the castle, she'll make sure he's treated better. She's about to lean over and kiss his cheek when she hears an angry shout...

Listened to one of my new K-Tel albums while I worked. Music Machine had some really great songs, some of the best I'd seen on these collections. Favorites included "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" by Andy Gibb, "Don't Give Up On Us" by David Soul, "Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti, "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry, "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, "Beth" by KISS, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John, and "You and Me" by Alice Cooper.

Broke for dinner at 7:30. Watched The Love Boat while I ate. In the fifth season, Julie is "Green, but Not Jolly" when Gopher's bottle of hair dye turns her newly platinum locks bright emerald. A man (Bert Convy) who believes in reincarnation thinks he's found his "Past Perfect Love" when he sees a woman (Tanya Roberts) who looks just like the lady he loved 100 years ago. A bachelor football coach (John Phillip Law) finds an "Instant Family" when he falls for a single mother (Lynda Day George) with a mentally disabled son (Corey Feldman). 

Switched to the original 1938 version of The Buccaneer at Kanopy after I ate. The pirate in question is Jean Lafitte (Frederic March), who operated in New Orleans during the War of 1812. He wishes to marry wealthy Annette de Remy (Margot Grahame), but she wants him to give up piracy. Governor Clairbourne (Douglass Dumbrille) has put a price on his head. Jean is furious when his man Captain Brown (Robert Barrat) blows the American ship the Corinthian, despite his order not to touch American ships. The sole survivor is Dutch woman Gretchen (Franciska Gaal), who had to walk the plank. Jean rescues the young lady and lets her work as a maid for him.

The British offer Lafitte money to guide them through the swamps around New Orleans. He would rather offer his aid to General Andrew Jackson (Hugh Sothern), but Jackson doesn't trust him and jails his men. Lafitte releases them and helps Jackson rout the British army. He's now hailed as a hero, but then what happened to the Corinthian comes out at the victory ball when Annette sees Gretchen wearing a cameo that belonged to her sister who was lost with the ship. It'll take all Lefitte's cunning to escape being hanged and get his men and Gretchen out as well.

Cecil B DeMille directed this movie, and it sure does look like it. It's huge in every sense of the word, with giant war battles on land and on sea, massive ships, stunning costumes, and lavish sets. March is fine as Lafitte and Dumbrille does well enough as Clairbourne, but others don't work out as well. Gaal's squeaky little voice and her modern mannerisms make her all wrong for a historical role. Still, it's recommended for fans of DeMille's work or those who love a good pirate yarn like me. 

No comments: