Thursday, November 16, 2023

Nutcrackers In the Sunshine

Began the morning with breakfast and The Care Bears Nutcracker. Funshine and Grumpy are called to help a little girl named Anna whose best friend just moved away. She may find a new friend in an unlikely place when a moving nutcracker suddenly appears in her bedroom. He's followed by the Mouse King, who tries attacking him right then and there! He chases them and the Care Bears and Cousins to Toyland, where they help rescue the Sugar Plum Fairy and the ring she protects from the evil Vizier. Meanwhile, Baby Hugs and Tugs are searching for their own special ornament to hang on the Bears' tree, and Anna's little brother Peter just wants to take part in an adventure.

Did some job hunting after breakfast, since Karen couldn't make our appointment this week. I still don't see much around. Either they don't make enough money for me to leave my current job, or they don't have health insurance, or I'm not sure if I could do them. I'll keep looking. 

Headed to work after I got offline. We were dead the entire afternoon. In fact, we were so dead, the floral department didn't need help, and they barely needed help bagging, either. I spent almost the entire afternoon pushing carts and enjoying a stunning, bright blue and gold day in the mid-60's. It was so warm, I was out in my blue hoodie sweatshirt all afternoon. I was in and out with no trouble whatsoever. 

Went straight home after that. Changed, then put on The Great Caruso. I go further into this biography featuring Philadelphia tenor Mario Lanza one of the most beloved opera stars of the early 20th century at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Went through my bin of Christmas wrapping paper, ribbons, cards, and cookie boxes while the movie was on. I shouldn't need more cards or cookie boxes until the half-price sales go up after the holidays. I'm overloaded on both. I may need more wrapping paper and gift bags, though.

Worked on writing for a while after the movie ended. Cora dreams that she finds the handsome man from the portrait right where he was depicted in the garden. He claims to be the real Stephen. He and his kingdom were put under a spell by his cousin, an evil sorcerer who usurped his throne and his fiancee. Cora knows him from somewhere, but she really can't place those intense dark eyes...

Broke for dinner at 7 PM. Watched Match Game '79 while I ate. The last week of the CBS run kicks off with Gary Burghoff sitting in for Charles again. He's joined by Marcia Wallace, Elaine Joyce, Bart Braverman, and Bill Daily. Bill is unusually on his game in this episode, getting two answers right in a row and getting the top answer on the Audience Match. Marcia is more nervous about doing "Fantasy __" in the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night with another version of The Nutcracker on Kanopy after a shower. Nutcracker: The Motion Picture is a 1986 recording of the Pacific Northwest Ballet run of the show. The unique thing here are the Maurice Sendak-designed sets and costumes. They do look like his work, especially the oddly grotesque Nutcracker. Clara appears as an adult in the Land of Sweets sequence; she and the Nutcracker Prince replace the Sugar Plum Fairy and her cavalier in their dances. The Chinese dancers perform with a little gnome, and the Arabic Coffee dancer is a lavish peacock.

Dark and unsettling, this is worth seeing for ballet fans and older girls who are looking for a slightly different version of this beloved story. 

No comments: