Tuesday, November 14, 2023

On a Clear Day You Can Shop Forever

Began a late morning with breakfast and the PAW Patrol Thanksgiving episode. The "Pups Save Thanksgiving" when Mayor Humdinger, who was trying to get in on Adventure Bay's big dinner, floats away with the turkey bounce house. Skye and Zuma end up coming to his rescue. Zuma's also a big help with the "Pups Save a Windy Bay." When Mayor Humdinger's wind machine goes out of control and sends the contestants in a wind surfing race all over the bay, Zuma, Skye, and Rocky are the ones who rescue him, while the remaining pups figure out what the crafty Mayor is up to.

Headed out after that to the shopping center in the back of the Acme. Started off at Goodwill. I was looking for a good winter dress for interviews here, but I didn't see anything I liked. I did dig up some nifty records and one good CD, though, including another I've wanted for years:

The original cast album for On a Clear Day You Can See Forever with Barbara Harris and John Cullum. I've had the movie soundtrack with Barbra Streisand for years, but I was never able to find the Broadway version for a decent price. 

Hit Machine, a K-Tel collection from 1976.

Beauty and the Beast and Other Stories, Told by Douglas Fairbanks Jr. - the "Other Stories" are "The Princess on the Glass Hill" and "The Boy Who Kept a Secret," which don't often turn up on anthologies of this type. 

Those Glorious MGM Musicals: The Pirate/Hit the Deck/Pagan Love Song - Soundtracks for the three MGM musicals, plus a disc with the soundtracks for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and the 1954 Rose Marie that was accidentally included from another set. 

A Wyndham Hill Christmas Sampler II (This was the CD.) 

Had even better luck at the other stores. Picked up presents for Khai and the daughter of a friend of mine at Ross, for Lauren, Amanda, and the girl at Marshalls, and for Amanda and the girl at Five Below. Lauren told me she really, really wanted the new Mario game Super Mario Wonder. It was expensive at GameStop, but I looked it up online last night, and it's not any cheaper at Amazon or Wal Mart. Lauren is the best friend I ever had, and she deserves a splurge. 

It was a gorgeous day for shopping, too. Sunny, breezy, with a bright blue sky. It was warm but not overly so, just enough for me to not freeze going from store to store. 

Had lunch next-door to GameStop at Tu Se Bella Pizza. It was quarter of 3 by that point. Needless to say, I was the only one there. I enjoyed my slice of cheese, slice of broccoli-shrimp, and bottle of Diet Pepsi in blissful silence.

I hadn't planned on stopping at the Acme on the way home, but I was out of trash bags, and didn't want to wait and pick them up at Dollar General. The Acme has Hefty trash bags sized for small trash cans anyway. Since I was there, I bought a birthday card and gift card for my brother Keefe, whose birthday is this Saturday.

Went straight home after that and into A Song to Remember. I go further into this Oscar-nominated biography of romantic composer Frederic Chopin at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Worked on writing for a while after that. Stephen just goes on and on, describing their lavish wedding and trying to make love to her. Cora finally manages to slip away, once more disturbed by his red eyes and manipulative powers. She can't stop thinking of the artwork with the handsome man who somewhat resembles a kinder Stephen, to the point where she dreams about him...

Watched Match Game PM during dinner. Buzzr has brought back the nighttime episodes during the 6 PM block, including one of the two previously lost episodes they restored and resurrected. The episode with Bill Anderson and Eva Gabor turned up for the first time in more than 40 years in February 2021. Gene's comments to an Asian gentleman who said he had been in the military during World War II may have had something to do with its disappearance. 

Match Game '79 featured the first appearance of Fred Grandy (who would be a semi-regular during the syndicated era) and the show's last big winner. Carolyn was a very sweet young woman who didn't seem to do well at first. She wouldn't really pick up steam until her next show...and then she just kept winning...

Finished the night at Disney Plus with Babes In Toyland after I took a shower. I went further into their charming version of the beloved operetta at the Musical Dreams blog in 2018.

No comments: