Thursday, July 12, 2007

Lazy Day

My day began in darkness. I awoke at 3:15AM to the sounds of nothing. There was no light at all, not even from the clock on the wooden crate I use for a bedstand. The air conditioner and fan weren't even running. I stumbled to the bathroom (my bladder woke me up in the first place), then stumbled to the front door and stuck my head out. It was freezing, especially compared to yesterday's heat! I pulled back in and switched the air conditioner off, then grabbed a flashlight. As I returned to bed, my alarm clock blinked back to life, and the fan started whirring again.

Today is the last day I can get away with doing more-or-less nothing. I watched The Muppet Movie, listened to Broadway cast albums with traveling or vacation themes (the 1953 Shirley Booth vehicle By The Beautiful Sea and the original 1949 Carol Channing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes), made muffins for Lauren's parents as a thank-you present, and worked on that Monkees fanfic.

I didn't even do much at work. We were dead for most of the day, thanks to hot but dry weather. They did ask me to stay later (I should have known a lot of the teenagers wouldn't want to work on the first gorgeous day we've had since before the Fourth), but I declined - I appreciated the offer, but I'm not supposed to be working on my knee at all, much less extra hours. They really need to start hiring more reliable people.

No comments: