Friday, July 06, 2007

What's Goin' On

I went to the doctor's office this afternoon. The knee just hurt too much to ignore it this time, and I wanted a professional opinion. I called Uncle Ken, who took me to the doctor in Haddon Heights that Bruce and Jessa use. He was a pleasant, youngish Asian fellow with an almost shy manner. I also had a small check-up - found out I've lost another pound since I last checked my scale (which means I've now lost 23).

The verdict - sprained knee, probably a torn ligament. I'm to put heat on it and try to stay off of it as much as possible for a week, then exercise it the week after. I called out of work (I only had four hours today and the extra Fourth of July money should make up for it somewhat) and spent the rest of the day watching Monkees episodes (they never fail to cheer me up) and reading that Summer of Love issue of Rolling Stone with my knee under a heating pad. I made a simple dinner (grilled turkey with tomato and spinach, no cheese) and a low-fat chilled dessert (Peach-Apple Sorbet).

(I don't normally read Rolling Stone, partially because I disagree with their treatment of the Monkees. They're some of the only people who still write them off as just a made-for-TV band. I say...guys, they only started out as a TV band and were really talented, so give credit where credit is due, please. The only times the Monkees turn up in any of the Summer Of Love articles is when Peter Tork discusses his very popular home in Laurel Canyon in the LA piece, in a reference to Jimi Hendrix quitting the tour, and in the last page, despite their being one of the number-one bands in the world and having the top albums and two of the top singles of the year. Not to mention Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz were among the musicians attending the Monterey Pop Festival.)

I'm not going to be able to take the whole week off, especially since I'm still going on vacation the week after. (Lauren and I discussed it last night; it's fine, we'll just have to revise our schedule somewhat.) I'll just have to stand on one leg a lot, rest the leg when I get home, and try not to eat too much junk, since I can't exercise for a while. I hate to do it, but I'll probably need rides to work until I go away, too.

(I do have three errands I really do need to pull off, though. I need to go grocery shopping, I need to go to the bank, and I need to buy new sandals.)

No comments: