Friday, April 18, 2008

Braving the Wal-Mart Mobs

I spent a quiet morning doing laundry. No one is home at Uncle Ken's. Uncle Ken is on vacation with Dolores. Bruce is on a work trip. Jessa is staying with Jodie. I watched cartoons on Toon Disney and Cartoon Network (what was with that bizarre Tom & Jerry movie about the pirates?) and walked up to the White Horse Pike to check out the collectibles store The House of Fun. Unfortunately, The House of Fun is closed for the entire weekend due to a family emergency and won't be open again until Tuesday. (That's one of the disadvantages of my fondness for small stores. They tend to be opened at the whims of the owner.)

Work was less peaceful. Jill tried to call me in early yesterday, but I turned her down in order to get my laundry done. (I work early tomorrow and won't have the time, and I really needed clean work uniforms. It's not like I'm desperate for money anyway, between a lot of hours this week, birthday money, and the money I made raking the front yard.) I didn't realize why until I saw how short they were on help this evening. There weren't even any call outs. They just didn't have enough help. It was on-and-off busy but could have been worse. It's probably a good thing it was a gorgeous, 80-degree, cloudless day out there.

I ran to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things after work, but it proved to be just a plain bad idea. The store was a total and complete zoo, with lines even longer than the Acme's...at 7:30PM! We also had the usual rude customers who jostle you and shout over your head. They had no DVD cabinets, the bike area was so crowded I couldn't get to the tires, and they still don't have bath mats the right size for my bathroom. I ended up with a container for my bread flour I hope holds it all and a book, Key Lime Murder by Joanna Fluke. I'm contemplating a trip to the Target in Deptford on Thursday. They have a much better selection of basically everything Wal-Mart has, with less rude customers.

No comments: